Option to black out the screen on long hauls

So I’ve been playing with global for a couple of days now, and one thing that I’d like to see is an option to completely black out the screen on long hauls, with a gesture like double tapping to wake it up. I feel like it would save more battery (in conjunction with the low power mode), however, I’m also concerned that my device will get pixel burn in. A lot of the menus/information on the bottom stay there for hours which is the perfect recipe for pixel burn in. I know this is not really a concern for LCD screens on the iPhone (for example), but I feel this would be needed with all the phones that have OLED/AMOLED displays.

Most Android phones already have this feature
It is called screen lock.

It dims the screen by a lot and in order to use the device you will need to swipe the screen.

Are you sure that ios device don’t have something like this?

1 Like

That’s neat, but to my knowledge iOS does not have this feature. There is just an option to dim the screen and to dim blue light, which I take as precautionary steps when I leave my phone when I do a long haul.

1 Like

I also disabled the HUD/mini map inflight to minimize as many fixed items on the screen as possible. But the white menus on the bottom are still there. It would be nice to black everything out as a precaution. I have OCD when it comes to this stuff lol.

1 Like

You can hide the status bar at the bottom:

3 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t know you can do this!

1 Like

No problem. And another tip is to use the scenic cam view. Then you will have motion on the screen all the time.

3 Likes

Just bumping this as I was going to make similar topic but found this one instead. This is a great idea as with new OLED/AMOLED screens, people could effectively turn off their screen with a fully black image in IF. This would help everyone’s devices, as they would save loads of battery and require way less power when flying, plus they would not get as hot! Also, the device could instead allocate all processing power etc. to running the game instead of doing that plus displaying the game on the screen, further reducing power consumption and heat! The interface and status bar would be on top of the black image (think of it as a complete black camera view), but they would time out if you have that selected in settings.