Optimal speed

Real world the F22 is at its most economical in block 4 at m0.85+

The aircraft is able to “supercruise” without using it’s burners so you can achieve M1+ without the aircraft burning too much. Within IF? I’m not sure they will ever receive the details required for an accurate representation.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just a question. What do you mean by “in block 4”?

FL400-FL490…

Block 1 is the 1’s (10k-19k)
Block 2 the 2’s(20k - 29k) etc.

👍 so a suitable speed is Mach 0.90 at FL 440 for example. Correct?

Thanks a lot for the help.

2 Likes

Yes mate, that should be good. Remember to use the trim so you fly at the “cleanest” setting.

1 Like

👍And what climb rate would you recommend?

Am afraid that can’t help on the F22 details, however would suggest that you use Simbrief.com to generate a long haul flight for the B747-200 which will give you best step climbing and speeds to fly at for the VC-25.

I would imagine that the F22 will be your controlling issue as that will have a much shorter range and will have to be tankerered on a couple of occasions in order to maintain same range as the VC25.

Two options either work out the ranges and arrange for Fuelung brackets needed for a KC-10 to RV for fuel or fly as a three ship formation so the KC10 can top off the tanks when needed.

Either way a fun tasking!

1 Like

You can do a combat takeoff, so vertical…

Or fly it like a normal airplane at a slightly increased rate so somewhere around 5k-10k p/m and decrease as you get higher.

1 Like

Thanks a lot to all of you! I’ll check simbrief I hadn’t thought of that. Now the hard part will be organising life wind and the FPL.

1 Like

@Captain_Zen This may or may not help, but I’ll post it for you:
Infinite Flight Fuel Burns (Estimates): MD11/DC10 added

2 Likes

Really helpful thanks! Pity the info for IF for the F-22 isn’t there… I think I’m good to go now thanks to all of you.

1 Like

I’m currently flying my F-22 back to the US from WSSS with the IFAE. I’m about to land at Guam. I’ve been all over the globe with it. I’ve read a lot about the real F-22 but disappointingly it’s doesn’t preform like it does in real life. For best range stay around FL300. For highest ground speed stay around FL350. Don’t worry about best speed. Think about what n1% will give you the lowest fuel flow for the highest thrust. This happens to be 90%n1. You also don’t need both engines. I shut one off right after I bring my gear up if I’m going to be doing a long flight. One engine 90%n1 will net you a 1030-1080g/s and give you over 2 hours of flight time. I flew 1144nm and parked with 53% fuel remaining. just landed a few minutes ago. And that was with a headwind the whole way.

If you want any more details let me know. I’ve even made graphs showing fuel consumption for given altitudes and n1%. Lol. I’m a nerd.

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s too bad the F-22 in Infinite Flight doesn’t perform like it does in real life. In the app economy starts dropping noticabily above FL420

1 Like

Wow thank you so much! You seem to really know that plane. You’re right though by saying it doesn’t work like in real life. I tried a few things and noticed quite some differences. Although I think fds changes the physics of it once in a while. Maybe one day it will be very accurate.

Though I have to admit I have a few problems understanding how cutting an engine can help… anyway I’ll pm you later te graphs sound really interesting!

Great work there @Greg78 ! Would you be able to share those graphs please? Checking over aircraft performance and planning flights etc I love just as much as flying them! It’s such a nice feeling arriving at your destination at the time and weight you have planned! Fellow nerd here… :-)

1 Like

image I never ment this for public consumption. So please forgive my sloppy work. I was just trying to visualize the data for myself. I did this experimenting on solo. I would get to altitude and wait for my speed to stabilize at the given n1 then top off the fuel and collect the ground speed. For the F-22 fuel flow rate doesn’t change with a change in altitude. I never thought shutting off an engine would be more efficient but the difference is so obvious once you try it I didn’t test it much. It’s like ~60% better range. I know it shouldn’t work that way in real life. It was that discovery that prompted this testing. Real world F-22 research was not very useful in the app.
I’ve been working on a full tutorial for the F-22. Looking at this makes me want to finish it up.

4 Likes

You are amazing! This is really good work thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

That’s great work the Greg! Thank you for sharing your work there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.