Optimal speed

With the come of global there is now also the concern of fuel. I have a project I’d really like to do, but I’m missing some key information that I’m hoping some of you guys know. I’d like to try to fly as far as possible with an F-22 and with Air Force one. For that I’d need some info like:

Best speed
Cruise altitude
Climb rate

If all goes well I’ll also try to keep both aircrafts in the air as long as possible (not looking for distance just keep it up there). To do that the information I need is really important.

I’ve tried doing some research but I seem to have difficulties finding what I need especially for the F-22. I’m hoping that one of you knows by experience (after trying something similar) or because you know for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance!

(I’ll be needing tankers when I’ll be doing it if anyone wants to volunteer please pm me. Thanks🙂)

2 Likes

I’m assuming the vc 25 same as the 747-200
Best speed: mach 0,85
Cruise altitude: depend on the weight (i usually start at 31000-32000)
Climb rate: i personally use 3000 fpm

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Would you happen to know for the F-22?

Forgot to mention, for the airforce one I’ll be doing step climbing. If you know the ideal way (considering I’m taking off with max fuel) I’d really appreciate it.

1 Like

I did a race in an F22 a little while ago and I wrote down the best speed and cruising altitude somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

2 Likes

Actually, I didn’t account fuel into those calculations, but if you ever need F22 specs for a race…

Cruising Altitude: 36,000 Feet
Cruising Speed: Mach 2.98

1 Like

Isn’t that a bit fast? As in you’d run out of fuel in no time…

1 Like

The key word in there is race. Haha.

1 Like

Missed that part.😅 but for a race if it’s short just put max power. (Except in the turns) do you know for a good range though?

2 Likes

Sadly, I do not. Only use the F22 for speed and to kinda mess around in solo. Good luck! :)

1 Like

Thanks! For the moment I found Mach 1.5 but that’s supercruise. So I guess delivery cruise is somewhere between that and Mach 0.85.

2 Likes

I havent flew the f 22 actually

Real world the F22 is at its most economical in block 4 at m0.85+

The aircraft is able to “supercruise” without using it’s burners so you can achieve M1+ without the aircraft burning too much. Within IF? I’m not sure they will ever receive the details required for an accurate representation.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just a question. What do you mean by “in block 4”?

FL400-FL490…

Block 1 is the 1’s (10k-19k)
Block 2 the 2’s(20k - 29k) etc.

👍 so a suitable speed is Mach 0.90 at FL 440 for example. Correct?

Thanks a lot for the help.

2 Likes

Yes mate, that should be good. Remember to use the trim so you fly at the “cleanest” setting.

1 Like

👍And what climb rate would you recommend?

Am afraid that can’t help on the F22 details, however would suggest that you use Simbrief.com to generate a long haul flight for the B747-200 which will give you best step climbing and speeds to fly at for the VC-25.

I would imagine that the F22 will be your controlling issue as that will have a much shorter range and will have to be tankerered on a couple of occasions in order to maintain same range as the VC25.

Two options either work out the ranges and arrange for Fuelung brackets needed for a KC-10 to RV for fuel or fly as a three ship formation so the KC10 can top off the tanks when needed.

Either way a fun tasking!

1 Like

You can do a combat takeoff, so vertical…

Or fly it like a normal airplane at a slightly increased rate so somewhere around 5k-10k p/m and decrease as you get higher.

1 Like

Thanks a lot to all of you! I’ll check simbrief I hadn’t thought of that. Now the hard part will be organising life wind and the FPL.

1 Like