Opinions on VA Callsigns?

I would post this in #VA, however I haven’t achieved the mysterious requirements for TL2 as yet… (if anyone can move it there it might be a better place for it)

I’m in the process of researching/creating a new VA, (I know I can’t apply for IFVARB yet before anyone says, see above ;) ) and I would like to get some opinion and thoughts on VA callsigns.

Which do you think is the best approach for a VA when deciding upon a callsign?

• Use a real world callsign plus ID (Airlines in IF)
  • Use a General Aviation one specific to the VA

0 voters

Also, thinking about a possible website integration with LiveFlight, does the above come into play for the display of only your own VA flights (I’m guessing @Cameron or @MishaCamp would be the best to ask on that one)?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me on this one.

1 Like

I prefer the GA callsign approach as it is easier to identify a VA member.

4 Likes

That’s what I originally thought, and still lean toward myself to be honest, but I would imagine there could be some pride in carrying the real-world callsigns for some VA crew - hence the poll.

Either one is far too easily used in IF by anyone who wishes too unfortunately - but that’s a whole different issue.

Thanks for the move @BluePanda900 :)

Most use GA callsigns and then add stuff to their display name.

Callsign of AAVA####, DLVA####, etc.

Then in the display name add “DLVA Cool Pilot Name” or something like that.

11 Likes

It get’s annoying when you have a display name that is like “IFATC DLVA AAVA IFGAF IFAE IPP jakey20”

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’ve seen so far myself, and what I do when flying for the VA I am currently with. I also see a large number of Speedbird callsigns, I wasn’t sure if that was British Airways VA, but I think they use BAVA?

In regard to this, once you’re website is set up if you speak to Cameron he can pass on a API key to put a specific LiveFlight map into your website showing just a specific callsign.

1 Like

Thanks @Matt, I figured that would be the case, my suspicion being that a GA based VA specific callsign would provide the best result for an integrated map.

1 Like

I reached out to him a month or so ago and he said the underlying code needs reworked. He will announce when they are back up.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Nope, it should be IFATC-DLVA-AAVA-IFGAF-IFAE-IPP Jakey2_0😉

No underscores in display names 😏

He stopped making them.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote in the poll and/or reply to the thread. As I’m quickly discovering, IFC is a very welcoming and engaged community, so nice to see!

Decision made for the VA I’m working on… GA based callsign it is.

3 Likes

“Cool Pilot Name” LOL

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.