Operational Procedures

Hi-I am a good pilot on IF but I’m not too familiar with operations so I have a few things i woukd like to say
Does it really matter if my strobe lights are on while taxiing?
I often misjudge what speed and altitude I should fly at in order to reach my destination-For example From LAX to San Diego, what speed should i go and what should my altitude be? I currently do 380Kts and 15,000FT-Is that wrong?
When filing a flight plan how long should my final approach be e.g what would be a good flight plan from KLAX TO KSAN. Any answers would be thouroughly appreciated. Thankyou!

Re lights - strobes should only be on whilst flying, or whilst crossing a runway. Turn them on whilst holding short and given clearance. Turn them off when exiting the runway after landing.
Landing lights can be used like taxi lights, so on whilst taxiing and take off and landing, but off whilst flying.

Heights and speeds vary per flight and aircraft.
Try looking for route info for the flight you desire.
I took a 737 out the other day for about a 120mile flight, and I took it up to 20k and cruised at 300kts mid flight.

Thanks A lot!

1 Like

I am similar to BBJMAX and have found this post mega helpful. Must remember not to fly planes on my iphone and stick to ipad as its difficult to manage on iphone, just sayin like!!!

From LAX to San Diego, what speed should i go and what should my altitude be? I currently do 380Kts and 15,000FT-Is that wrong?

It depends on what you need. Rule of thumb is (altitude/1000)*3+10 is the position you may need to commence descending in a Jet. Let’s say you take FL150, then you start to descend when 55 miles from the airport. If total flight distance is around 70, you only have 15 miles to reach FL150 after airborne. If you think it’s uncomfortable, pick up a lower cruising level.

For speed, IF does not have over speed simulation, you can easily fly as fast as 380KT IAS. But even in real life, a B747 cannot reach 380KT IAS. In real life, B737 pilot likes to take 280KT for cruising and 310KT when descending until 10000ft, below 10000, you must fly at or below 250KT. And make a target to cross around 5 mile to stable on your approach configuration, then you know when you should start to slow down, normally it’s 20 flying miles to the airport.

And how far do you need for final? If you chose visual, you should plan to join downwind in non-control airport or tower may instruct you to join downwind, base or long final based on your position. Downwind distance is normally within 10 miles. Though in IF, TWR may instruct you to extend very long downwind. in this case, watch out terrains.
For ILS, it’s suggested to plan a 10 mile final with a 30 degrees intercept angle. If you think you are not really proficient of controlling the aircraft you fly, make final longer for more correction space.

4 Likes

Can’t like this enough. Wish more people did what you said.

I see a lot of people dropping 10,000ft in 1min. Since people want to keep this game as real as possible, imagine doing that in real life.

Jet pilots use that calc he provided daily. We want to make as smooth for the passengers as possible.

Now, the cargo guys, that’s another story. I’ve seen fedex guys drop from 8k to 1200ft in a min and half. Lol. Those guys are just nuts!

1 Like

Well, there is no over stress in IF. Or they have to look for their shattered parts on the ground. :wink:
But I’ve seen many members start to learn. Always a good start, isn’t it?

3 Likes