THE BACKDROP: Centrally located in Louisville, Kentucky, Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (KSDF) is considered the second busiest cargo airport in the United States, the world’s 4th busiest airport by cargo traffic and plays home to UPS Airlines with their would famous Worldport facility. Worldport is 5.2 million square feet with a perimeter of 7.2 miles, casually making it larger than Minneapolis’ Mall of America and serves over 220 countries and territories. During peak night time hours is when the skies around Worldport spring to life with UPS aircraft landing every 60 seconds. The journey continues on over 155 miles of conveyor belts making sure packages are sorted and routed to the next aircraft all within just 35 minutes of arrival; some packages only touching human hands twice.
THE GOAL: As the largest edited airport in my short time as a member of the IFAET, this will be my largest challenge yet, and one that will take as much time as needed to assure a high quality airport that can be enjoyed by those who fly in and out of this modern marvel, whether cargo or passenger. My aim is to accurately replicate the smallest allowable details while optimizing the airport for device performance.
YOU CAN HELP: Live around, or better yet, work at Worldport? I’m looking for you! Send any detailed images or FYI’s my way that can assist me in creating the most realistic and best looking version of this airport.
DISCLAIMERS: The version shown in pictures is subject to change for final release as game performance and realism is taken into account. In some cases, sacrifices do need to be made to ensure an airport of this size and detail does not have a negative impact on game performance and user experience. You can expect occasional picture updates throughout the editing process.
I look forward to getting this airport to everyone’s device, especially those at @UPSVirtual.
|Allegiant Air||Delta Air Lines||Spirit Airlines|
|American Airlines||Delta Connection||United Airlines|
|American Eagle||Frontier Airlines||United Express|
|Breeze Airways||Southwest Airlines||Sun Country Airlines|
|Air Cargo Carriers||FedEx Express||UPS Airlines|
|Ameriflight (UPS Regional Partner)||SkyLink Express|
- UPS Worldport is the size of 90 football fields and is the world’s largest automated package handling facility.
- At peak capacity, it handles about 115 packages per second or 416,000 per hour.
- UPS Worldport is too large to be air conditioned so its exterior is painted white to reflect sunlight.
- It employs well over 20,000 employees.
- Roughly 2,000 packages were processed on the very first night the site commenced operations in September 1982. Today, 2,000 packages are processed every 17 seconds.
- UPS estimates that Worldport is riddled with approximately 1.2 million wheels and bearings.