OpenSource Livery Templates

is it possible to do this now :D? we wont be complaing about old liveries if this feature will come

PLLLEEEASSSE

We still don’t have the infrastructure to implement unlimited numbers of liveries; it’s not that we are refusing. We’ve said many many times, liveries are the most expensive computing-wise and a huge number in the sky would cause your device to grind to a halt. They’re also literally expensive for us to serve up from a file standpoint.

I’m basing this on facts.

That is based on feelings, not fact.

4 Likes

Based on the amount of users play infinite flight I can see that, people need to understand computing Is EXPENSIVE. A basic laptop is over 400 for the most basic configurations. Let alone if it was open source, the quality may have to be checked which takes staff’s time out of making amazing aircraft for us all.

I know that’s sarcasm, but you’ve been told by Jason across multiple topics why certain or all liveries can’t be had at this moment.

Someday in the future when they figure out how to do it, it will happen. The idea that the dev team is against adding liveries because of bias or anything else is a myth. Everything stems from device performance, and that’s what they’re constantly wrestling with, especially more so that this a mobile simulator.

2 Likes

What’s the issue with client side liveries like we see on desktop where they are replaced with a generic livery typically? That way Infinite Flight’s resources aren’t being taken up and it removes moderation issues. You guys would probably have to modify the TOS though to allow for modifications of files then since people will be making their own liveries and relinquish control of being able to modify liveries, so I don’t know if you would want to do that.

3 Likes

This is a great question.

Liveries in Infinite Flight are exceedingly more complex than just a paint job because of PBR shading and other maps that are required. This is why we have professionals working on our liveries. It’s something we’re thinking about but it’s not on the immediate to-do list. Things like buildings and clouds are far more urgent at the moment.

12 Likes

Can we take a moment to consider the actual benefit of such a system if it could even exist? My comparison for such an idea is RFS. I don’t think any of us want to see the user liveries there within 5 miles of an Infinite Flight server. So that means moderation is required, and that is incredibly time consuming. It wouldn’t just require a quick scan either - the developers would likely have to take a fine-tooth comb to each livery to make sure nothing is hidden either.

Second, how many people would actually, and I mean actually, have the skills to complete a highly-detailed, 4K compatible livery from the forum community? I can’t think of too many. Infinite Flight has a team of professional 3D artists, whose full-time job is to create these liveries and other aspects of Infinite Flight. This isn’t a one-day, three hour project in terms of liveries. It has to looks good from any angle, and be mapped to a proprietary in-house model.

Plus as Jason once again pointed out, we can’t have unlimited liveries inside the game.

Sorry, the complaining is a little irritating when we just received an awesome update that includes 27 awesome new and update liveries. Let’s at least give them a small holiday break!

Edit: And Jason beat me to it with me second point

3 Likes

I really want this (bump)

I heard that IF makes their liveries with Photoshop. Is that really true because I cant imagine how to use PS on a 3D object, but I am inexperienced so I could also just didn’t see the feature yet.

The 100th vote will soon be reached, I really hope that this option gets considered as many liveries are truly missing for some “reasons”.

1 Like

Nice idea!! We need it!!! btw I’m the 100th voter :)

2 Likes

Ok ok hear me out…

So in other flight sims, you can fly with your own liveries, that you made. Now, if you are flying in a multiplayer server, your aircraft will be shown as a generic aircraft. That is, unless another person has your livery downloaded.

So would that mean less server strain and memory?

Now I’m no genius but that should work. As someone said this about a winglet and no winglet option as well. Because well as you said. It’s downloaded to your device and shows generic unless someone else has it downloaded.

2 Likes

Excelent Idea. We can Add our favourite liveries

1 Like

Since I have been seeing a slew of topics about lack of diversity with liveries in the game. If you want more and think people could contribute. This is the topic for you! Leave a vote here and show the IF team we want to help!

2 Likes

This is still true. It’s an interesting idea for down the road, but it’s not something that needs to be upvoted. You’re truly wasting your vote on it right now. 🗳➜🗑

5 Likes

That’s a shame I think it holds a lot of potential 😕

1 Like

No, we are not wasting any of our votes. This feature, like many others, has been requested for a long time, and this is a sign that the community really wants this feature. As said above, there are a lot of ways in which it can be implemented in IF, but it does not hold a priority for you guys, the dev team. I’m still hoping a lot for this feature to be implemented in the sim somewhere in time, as this will open a lot of paths for a lot of users. :))

1 Like

It’s been working out perfectly for RFS (which we always say we’re better than) why can’t we have open source liveries?

1 Like

I think a lot of you are trying to find fault in what the staff are saying here.

They’ve said, multiple times I’ll add, it’s not currently something that they have the infrastructure or ability to have in the simulator. In no way is that “they don’t want to add it”. They have given you a justified reason as to why currently it cannot be added. That’s not to say it won’t come in the future, but at this current present time it isn’t feasible.

I see a lot of people bringing up other simulators. Other simulators sacrifice quality in the aircraft models, the systems, the physics, the scenery quality etc to have more liveries, and often they are incomplete or of a lower quality. Other simulators are programmed differently, have other priorities etc. There is currently no mobile simulator on the market that is as detailed and as accurate as IF.

There’s no personal motive for the staff not to do it. There is evidently, from a technical standpoint, a justified reason as to why it cannot currently be added.

6 Likes