One Engine Jet Future?

So it seems now a days that jet airliners are just getting smaller and smaller with the quantity of thier engines and going with twin jets that have larger and more efficient engines. Now that it seems that that is what’s happening. Do you think there will be a future for Unijets with even larger and more efficient engines?

6 Likes

this looks like an interesting topic! Wish you could post it in the #real-world-aviation unfortunately as a TL1 you can’t, remain active on here and you’ll be able post in the #real-world-aviation real soon!

4 Likes

As the others have said above, this seems interesting. But, if I were you I’d keep this topic in mind for the future!

Just think if that engine fails though? Would there be some sort of backup?

Engine Failures and Bird Strikes are a thing and although 1 engine would be awesome and more cost efficient… There’s also the issue of safety…

Remember that there are two sides:

What Airlines Want What The FAA Requires
Cost Efficient Safety
5 Likes

Moved to #real-world-aviation - as you guys seems to think it’s an interesting topic :)

13 Likes

Thank you so much for allowing this @schyllberg!

7 Likes

I don’t think we’ll see single engine jet liner operations. Safety reasons can probably back me up on that. Now as a corporate jet that’s working real well!

7 Likes

Okay now that this isn’t going to get closed, here are my two cents:

The Cirrus Vision Jet has set this in motion, or at least the first stages of it. Sooner we’ll be able to create lightweight single engine airliners that could fit up to 20 passengers. I think that this would be great for the environment, and aviation as a whole.

Of course the only issue is that if the engine fails, you have to resort to gliding…

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ll see that, just like Single pilot Commercial Jet operations it’s an interesting idea but I don’t think in our life time we’re going see it. Air taxi wise I bet we’ll see more and more of them

1 Like

True, and I agree with you that it would likely be limited to smaller airframe applications and not long or wide body transports.

1 Like

I agree with you here. If they put it on a wide body/long haul aircraft and the single engine failed, say it was crossing an ocean, there’s no option for the pilots. If it was only on short haul aircraft, then I don’t think the results would be as catastrophic if the plane crashed.

1 Like

It’ll be a long time until we have long range, wide body airliners with one engine.

1 Like

Aviation is an industry built on redundancy for safety, which is a good thing. Single engine ops would be too risky, and would remove a valuable layer of safety for commercial operations.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if the operation would be uninsurable with a large number of passengers, meaning more than 15-20 or so.

2 Likes

Maybe never, I know I wouldn’t line up to fly on a single engine long or wide body, just like I won’t buy a ticket for a single pilot or unmanned flight.

3 Likes

I’ve been on plenty of single pilot flights nothing wrong with them, Now reason why I don’t we won’t see commercial jet liner single engine pilot operations is due to insurance.

1 Like

The future is unpredictable you never know 😉

1 Like

I think this is a possibility but there are lots of doubts that would need a way of fixing but this could definitely work

If this idea were to go ahead, I could see the possibility of aircraft carrying a sort of ‘backup engine’, that could be kicked in if the main one fails (or some similar recovery system). This would have the saftey of a twinjet with the efficiency of a unijet.

2 Likes

Like a PT-6 Twin Pack.