On This Day in Aviation History: The Cessna 172 Takes Flight

Many people are aware that today is the 26th anniversary of the 777-200ER taking flight for the first time. While yes, this was and still is a significant leap of progress for the aviation industry, today in 1955 also marked a possibly even more major milestone in the development of piloting – the Cessna 172 Skyhawk taking flight for the first time.

The prototype, registered as N41678, took off from Cessna Aircraft Field southeast of Witchita, KS, and flew to a grass strip near Kingman, KS, roughly 48 miles (72km) to the west. Today, the 172 remains the most produced aircraft of all time and a very popular trainer for student pilots.

Read more here:

13 Likes

Very interesting to hear! The C172 has definitely helped advance aviation to what it is today, especially as one of the most popular aircraft for pilot training!

1 Like

Wow thats awesome! I am flying it in Infinite Flight right now haha!

1 Like

65 Years!

One of the most iconic, handy, the best and yet the most beautiful aircraft ever made. I flew in this aircraft twice and I just want to fly this bad boy around when I grow up, solos of course. Knowing it’s age it’s just great listening to the props nowadays. It’s always nice to take a break from commercial aircraft.

Credits: https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/n41768/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.