On This Day In Aviation History: Boeing Unveils the 787

Exactly thirteen years ago, Boeing unveiled the 787 Dreamliner.

Credits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boeing_787_first_flight_taxi_turn.jpg

The 787 was officially designated as a new aircraft project in January 2003. It was called the 7E7 at the time. In May, Boeing asked the public to vote for the name. Candidates included Global Cruiser, eLiner, Stratoclimber, and Dreamliner. Dreamliner won the contest, with 500,000 votes. All Nippon Airways became the launch customer of the 787 in 2004. On July 8, 2007, the 787 made its first public appearance. Since then, almost 1000 787s have been built, and there are over 1000 unfulfilled orders as of May 2020.

20 Likes

Wow, how time flies! The 787 is one of the most revolutionary aircraft because it opened up long haul markets to so many new cities!

1 Like

Is the 787 really historic though? ๐Ÿค”

Just kidding. Even though itโ€™s not 87, 50, or even 25 years ago, it was still a game-changing event when Boeing unveiled the 787. Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Cooooooooooooooool. ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜Ž

2 Likes

Such an incredible bird! I wonder how much longer after the 787 was unveiled Airbus unveiled the A350.

1 Like

Awesome but after all this time I still canโ€™t afford one ๐Ÿ˜’

1 Like

I remember screaming in enthusiasm when that thing lifted off. Was the most beautiful airliner Iโ€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

The 787 is such a beautiful and is super versatile. As mentioned above, the three variants make the 787 such a great fit for many, many airlines across the globe.

1 Like

Always loved the 787, always will

Such a beautiful aircraft!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.