On IF's Chart/Map is the Radius of Class "B" airspace defined by the Concentric Circles as depicted?

On IF’s Chart/Map is the Radius of Class “B” airspace defined by the Concentric Circles as depicted?
Invariably I get a Challange from Class “B” Tower on the Playground and Advanced even thought I’ve filed excluding the “B” and fly outside or boarding the outer ring of the “B” or in a pressurized cabin at +/- FL105 when I direct route over a “B”. An example, on the Playground, Out of London City today in a Caravan for High Wycombe, I skirted Heathrows outer ring which at its max is appro 15 miles. Got the olde “Controlled Airspace” call on approach to High Wycombe which is 28 mile from Heathrows. This Scenario repeats in every region particularly on low density days. Are IF rules consistent with FAA published airspace boundary definitions? If not what are the rules for IF “B’s”. Just askin…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! What’s the answer to the question?

If you click inside the circles, you’ll see blue text in the top right corner of the map that tells you which airport those circles belong to, and at what altitude they’re at (obviously they’re 3-dimentional).

Mr. Moderator: Understand altitude determination and use them always. The question I was trying to ask is; Why the airspace Tower Challange outside the outer boundary of a Class “B’s” boundary as depicted on the IF chart. As I understand it if your outside a “B’s” concentric outer ring your in another less restrictive class, uncontrolled space or space controlled by a higher authority like a Center. So Towers should concentrate on there designated space and not Challange every passing aircraft. Are the radia of the “B” Boundries accurate? Should they be adjusted to the radia shown on the Sectional? Should Flight Plan be required so ATC nodes can ping them? Are Towers trolling for biz? Does the training curricula explain boundaries of responsibility? Just askin!

This probably happens if a controller is board and maybe wants traffic. Technically without an approach frequency, pilots can contact tower from outside. But Tower should not send on-guard messages to pilots that aren’t flying in the airspace.

1 Like

Thank you Sir, Please pass the word… Regards, Max Sends

1 Like

i read this post, can u clarify whats he distance between the rings? is it 5 miles?

It varies for each airport. If you look on navigation charts you will see each ring may be 5 or 7 miles . Also they are not always completely round depending on the airport and airspace.

1 Like

in the same way that a pilot can not contact a tower from a certain distance (25nm?) there should be the same restriction on those doing ATC at a tower / ground. They should not be able to send an “on guard” message to an aircraft which is the other side of the business. Ideally, as @Maxmustang states, they should only be able to contact if in, or just outside (+/- 2 nm) from their position.

2 Likes