On Guarded by Invisible Tower Frequency

Not sure if anyone has seen this happen before…first for me. I was on Unicom at KEWR as there only appeared to be ground, but then I was sent several on guard messages on final by tower, a frequency that did not exist on my end. The replay shows these messages I haven’t seen before, despite being on very strong WiFi. Sorry to ATC, I wasn’t trying to ignore the commands…

3 Likes

This has happened to others in the past. Did you get ghosted? Furthermore, if this happens again, change your callsign to NORDO to indicate to the controller that you’re having communication issues.

7 Likes

This happens to me all the time. I try to avoid flying into controlled airports because this can happen and you can be ghosted. You can check IFATC.org to check

1 Like

Good to know

1 Like

To overcome this, briefly turn off the WiFi on your device, or flip it into Flight Mode. (On my iPad I do this by double-clicking on the home button, then putting on Flight Mode from there.) The IF app will gradually disconnect, and the moment you’re waiting for is when the ATC/headphones icon in the bottom left turns grey. At this point turn your WiFi back on, and when the app fully reconnects you should now be able to see all open frequencies at your destination.

1 Like

This has happened to me before. You should not have gotten any on guard messages on final. Change your callsign to NORDO so the controller will know what is going on.

2 Likes

Just as long as you don’t interfere with traffic you are safe and you won’t get ghosted

1 Like

Appreciate the quick responses! I quit rather than risk the ghost…bummer since I flew in from Dublin…🙄

1 Like

He shouldn’t get onguarded on short final, however I wouldn’t break the connection or pause to change the callsign on final, as you risk loosing seperation and interfering.
Regards
Paul

1 Like

sucks u had to quit the flight :(

Yeah there was a plane taking off so I didn’t want to be “that guy.”

lol I feel u

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Didn’t know about the NORDO callsign :)

2 Likes

Use it only as required. ATC won’t give you any special treatment if you use it constantly, but if you’re showing signs of a communications issue and you change your callsign to it (and not already have it) they may be more lenient.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.