Old features of Infinite Flight

I just started playing Infinite Flight consistently during the pandemic, and I am loving it! However, I actually bought the app in 2015 or 16, I can’t remember which one. However, remembering some old things about it, and looking at old videos there are some things that are no longer part of the simulator and I was wondering why?

• Water: Looking at some older IF videos on YouTube, it seems that there was better textured water. Now, we only have satellite scenery water, and while it looks okay, when did this get removed, and why?
  • Space shuttle: I remember this from years ago when I first bought the app. There was actually a space shuttle! And I believe, along with it, was a challenge to land the space shuttle. If that is incorrect, please let me know, because I am probably thinking of a different app. Why did they remove teh space shuttle, and the challenge to go with it?

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Exactly as you said. Satellite scenery. Before all the water looked the same. If you’d like to vote for the old water texture to come back, click here!

Nope, you’re correct! They removed it because it caused too many issues. The mission went away as well since there was no more space shuttle to fly on it. You can read about that here and if you want, vote for it here.

1 Like

👀 It caused issues? All I remember about the shuttle was having fun with it!

1 Like

Hey!

The old water was removed because only works on flat surfaces, when global came out developers modeled the entire planet! It also requires a new technique, and more work to get different colors in different regions and to get the correct elevation.

You can vote for the old water here:

I think the Space Shuttle was removed because this is a flight simulator, not an space simulator.

2 Likes

@EdCruz both of those make sense, thanks!
@Z-Tube I will consider voting for that, I personally like it :)
@nativetoalaska I wholeheartedly agree lol

2 Likes

MaxSez: Best of all learning Experience’s in the original IF Program was the “Landing G-Force” Feature! With Pax Comfort in mind you had to grease a landing in a Trash Hauler or fail miserably. It took the “Right Stuff” to Ace this skill determiner…

G’Day, Max

1 Like

@Maxmustang - how did that work, would you crash (end flight) if you exceeded a certain amount of G’s when landing?

@Trio. MaxSez: This Feature used an Accelerometer and Glide Sloop Measuring program which generated an accurate approach and landing Trash Hauler profile per Sortie.
The program as I recall provided a Landing parameters numeric profile and touchdown G-Force reading + Pass-Fail. Don’t recall a crash scenario. (Anybody recall full detail on this feature?)

MaxSends

1 Like

Ah ok, that’s definitely interesting.

I remember that feature! It was way back in 2013. From what I remember, it’s basically a judging system on how good or bad your landing is. You wouldn’t crash, but it’ll tell you essentially how good of a landing it was. Definitely was a fun little feature to have that helped me practice my landings. It was before the 747 and 787 both got a rework.

1 Like

The reason this got removed was because when they added satellite scenery, it was nearly impossible to add water in place of the other water. The reason why, back then they could have water was because scenery was only in certain places, and infinite flight want global.

I wouldn’t say nearly impossible, requires more research and more time to do it? Yes, but it’s still possible 🙂

1 Like

@Maxmustang @ToasterStroodie, that sounds really cool, I wish they had a built in feature to chekc your landing smoothness without having to use a different app.

1 Like

@CaptainZac @EdCruz maybe when Project Metal comes out, we will get more textured water again :)

2 Likes

It was a really cool feature to have. If memory serves me correct, it also predicted how many G’s your landing would be based on your V/S, plane’s attitude, and speed. For the time, it was a really cool feature to have as you aimed for the perfect landing.

1 Like

Yes!! At present we must go to get some bugs to go to space or we can’t

That sort of water quality over the entire globe would also certainly cause performance issues.