O'Hare21 Project - Chicago, IL

Hey Guys,
Kinda surprised this hasn’t been brought to light yet on the community, so I thought I’d share this with you. Bout time a US airport becomes able to hold it’s own with today’s modern airports. The website in the link below also has many surveys, asking how you, the traveling public, would like the airport designed. The new international terminal design was actually chosen by a vote. So please, check it out!

"The City of Chicago and its airline partners are moving forward on a historic plan that will transform O’Hare International Airport with the biggest terminal expansion ever. A new Terminal Area Plan for O’Hare will completely redevelop the terminals and concourses, with Terminal 5 to undergo an upgrade and expansion, Terminal 2 to be largely demolished and rebuilt to include a brand new international arrivals facility, and renovations made to Terminals 1 and 3.

The upgrades are set to grow O’Hare’s overall terminal square footage by more than 60 percent, from 5.5 to 8.9 million square feet, and increase gate frontage by 25 percent." - taken from
https://ord21.com/About/pages/default.aspx

*Please note nothing but the into is original content. Rights Reserved by Chicago Department of Aviation

6 Likes

I for one am looking forward to renovated terminals. The international terminal, in its current form, has no amenities and extremely limited dining options. Both United concourses are in desperate need of an overhaul. When it rains, you have to dodge the pails catching dripping water.

I feel like this is quite similar to my topic, linked here.

2 Likes

Oh man I’m sorry. I even made like multiple searches and couldn’t find anything! Probably because of the specific title. If a mod would like to close this now, I’d appreciate it.

Absolutely. Definitely a little sad its the first impression of our city. And don’t even get me started on terminal two…

Do they want this all to be done before 2021, or will this all begin in 2021?
I just can’t wait to see these new parking locations in IF haha

I mentioned this in my topic

It’s gonna be a madhouse. Actually, I think the ORD21 name is meant to represent the 21st century, rather than the year 2021. Man, I wish it would be that soon though! But because they’re trying to keep operations running at full capacity, it will be stretched out a while. Basically the main idea is to move airlines around, and make terminals based on alliance, not by airline. Like all the United Terminals will rather become Star Alliance terminals, with their own customs for easy connections. What’s a really funny example of how they’re trying to minimize interruptions is the fact that Frontier is currently running flights out of the International Terminal only! How funny is that?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.