Oh hello beautiful

Say hello to CalFires newest ship, the S70 Firehawk!
The firehawk has been in civilian service since the 70s as the UH-60.

Congrats to CALFIRE!

36 Likes

Wow that helicopter sure looks beautiful😍

4 Likes

Yes!! They’re going to the fire hawks!

1 Like

Don’t know too much about helicopters but it looks nice.

3 Likes

I saw it today! Flew right by my house and it was heading to the fire in Saddle Ridge.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty helicopter 😍

2 Likes

Beautiful helicopter!

1 Like

Only you would write such a title 😉 anyways, looks great. I like the red, black and white colour scheme

H-903 deployed

Helicopter 903 is now part of the CalFire fleet and involved with operations at McCallen

3 Likes

fortunate son intensifies

1 Like

Sorry this isn’t a Huey so we can’t use CCR

2 Likes

eyes of a panther intensifies

You would know if you were a true OG.

2 Likes

Beautiful machine! Looks elegant.
Quite funny but i never in my life sat in a helicopter or even flew with one. Because i fear helicopters. It is a machine, other then an airplane, that constantly wants to fall out of the sky and is totally unstable… it just can fly because of this little tail rotor… and when this thing decides to fall apart… has there ever been a successful landing without the tail-rotor? I know the McDonnell Douglas Helicopter have kinda fan in the back, no rotor, why did this concept not make it to every helicopter?

1 Like

Yes! There’s some really great clips one of my all time favorite is this one. a Bell UH-1H owned by the Washington State Police experienced Lost of Tail Rotor Effectiveness (LTE) the video is from the inside

Heres also an Enstrom who did an amazing job landing at this, while it’s not a technical LTE situation it’s still basically the samething.

Ahh the famous NOTAR! Reason why only MDs have them is it’s a patent design and MD only issues them for their helicopters. So some one would need to design one and allow companies like Airbus, Bell, Boeing to use it.
While it’s still a tail rotor it does some pretty legit aerodynamic things .

The system uses a fan inside the tail boom to build a high volume of low-pressure air, which exits through two slots and creates a boundary layer flow of air along the tailboom utilizing the Coandă effect

ADD ON

if we don’t want tail rotors why not go with the KMax, HH43 Huskie or KA-32s? With out the tailrotor the Kmax and HH43 are the worlds quietest helicopters, and it’s extremely true I have a chance to work with the Rotak Helicopters

(HH43 Huskie)

2 Likes

So, in the first video they talked about the wind effect of an updraft on the tail rotor, for me that sounds like the rotor blades had what an engine has when its surging- the air does not flow around the blades as efficient as it should be and that leads to an aerodynamic stall… but doesn’t it also say it spin out of control?

The second guy got stuck rudder pedals but the tail rotor was still operating… does this mean the effect was the same like if the rotor would have stoped working?

Is this even trained during flightschool?

There are sadly so many videos where a helicopter just spins out of control and i ask myself why the manufacturer never installed something redundant. That little rotor is so fragile, unprotected and has no backup.

Back to your topic: Is this Firehawk a civil version of the famous blackhawk?

There is a great video of a blackhawk? firehawk? in a rescue operation in the mountains of L.A. during the wildfires… amazing pilot skills ! Love it when this pilot says “ Hey that dirt spot there looks good i will hold it on one wheel and then you can jump out “ ( to bring the people on the mountain into the helicopter ). And then he just lands on one wheel… that easy… thinking “ i have never done something else in my life… “

But watch yourself:

As you are flying commercial helicopter, is the rule the same when it comes to profiency-recurrent-training/ check? Are there any simulators for helicopter ? What do you need to fly such a firehawk, a typerating or is there more involved?

1 Like

Sorry it took so lnog, so LTE is defined as “occurs when the tail rotor of a helicopter is exposed to wind forces that prevent it from carrying out its function—that of cancelling the torque of the engine and transmission. Any low-airspeed high-power environment provides an opportunity for it to occur.”
We typically get LTE in a tail wind landing situation, or as in the video an up draft from wind. Typically if you lose your tail rotor you can still maintain forward airspeed if you’re flying quickly enough when you slow down you experience it. Here’s a Skycrane with LTE when a tail wind hit it

While it’s not a true LTE situation it’s still lost it’s effectiveness and acts like an actual LTE situation

Yes they do. We did LTE all the time basically we’d turn our tail into the wind and once it took affect we’d have to get out of it.

It is! It’s the S-70, difference is it doesn’t have the cool guy top secret Army toys.

The Video you posted is an AW139 CalFire operates.

Yes we do have checkrides just like fixed wing pilots, and instrument check ride for our instrument rated machines. Yes we do have helicopter simulators we send our B212/B412 and EC135 pilots to Dallas. The B212/412 go to Flight Safety and our EC135 pilots go to the Airbus Factory.
For the Firehawk pilots need about 3,000 hrs as PIC along with heavy lift experience, military experience is also a huge plus. They also do get a Type rating since it’s over 12.5, one of the few helicopters that have one!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.