Official: United Airlines Orders 50 A321XLRs - A350s Deferred To 2027

United Airlines has ordered 50 of Airbus’ new A321XLR

• Deliveries begin in 2024.
  • The A321XLR will allow United to explore additional European cities from Newark/Washington.
  • Set to replace the 757 fleet.
  • A350s deferred to 2027 (bruh)

Source:

Mini-analysis if anyone wants to watch:

23 Likes

Wise move they are a good replacement for the 757 better fuel efficiency and lower landing costs and very good range it’s a no brainer.

6 Likes

Awesome! I expect these to be used on long haul and transcon routes. Probably increased capacity and new destinations from Newark and Dulles to Europe

2 Likes

That will be good for United, sad to see the 757s go though…

5 Likes

This shows United’s urgency to retire the 757-200. American has already placed orders for the 321XLR, but Delta seems to be in it for a while, looking for Boeing’s NMA/797.

6 Likes

American already announced an order for 50 XLRs in June.

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to seeing these fly to San Francisco, as they could open so many new routes. One I am looking forward to is South America, currently a market that no airline flies to from the Bay Area. They should also be able to reach places like the French Polynesia (although United flies their 788/9s on that route), Reykjavík (after Icelandair leaves), and to upgrade their current transcontinental routes.

2 Likes

Official:

• 50 orders for the A321XLR.
  • Deliveries begin in 2024.
  • The A321XLR will allow United to explore additional European cities from Newark/Washington.
  • Set to replace the 757 fleet.
  • A350s deferred to 2027
1 Like

Very very smart move for the airline. Their 757s are reliable work horses so they would be hard to let go but since they are so fuel inefficient, I think it would the right move to put another aircraft like this in its place. This is incredible aircraft and will benefit the airline tremendously. Anyways, I’ve been wondering why United has the A319 and the A320, but not the A321. I would also love seeing more narrow-bodies over the Atlantic.

1 Like

I completely understand why they made this choice, but I just can’t see an A321 with a UA livery. Even with the pictures it’s weird. It’s like imagining the UA livery on an A330…

1 Like

Well they have it on their A319s and A320s, don’t they? I guess the sharklets are a new concept for united and their liveries.

1 Like

The XLR is the gimmick which is supposed to replace the 757. The 757 has been popular for many years as it is profitable on long and short routes. Airbus can try to recreate the 757, but it still won’t be the same jet. If airlines are still flying a jet that has been around for 30+ years, obviously it works.

2 Likes

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. I hate the A321XLR

1 Like

12 hours in an A321 oh god kill me now

1 Like

Boy did Boeing lose a lot in not going ahead with the NMA… this and the MAX episode might lead them to stop obsessing over the 737 for once…

2 Likes

Better than 8-10 on a 737/757
Congrats to Airbus and United!!
💙💙💙
That makes it 8-3 for US A321 operators vs 739/M9/10

2 Likes

The thing is, the A321XLR doesn’t have the range for 12 hour flights, or even 10.

1 Like

!!!

Where do you think they will fly them?

You said 12…10 hours is definitely possible with a 4700NM range

Look at current UA 752 destinations from IAD
Probably that and more.

1 Like