Off Topic Posts on the IFC

Hello Everyone!
I hope you all are having a wonderful day. On a more serious note, I have noticed a big influx of off topic and unnecessary posts today on the IFC. I would like to remind everyone that even though it is April fools, these topics contribute little to the community. The following are some examples and reasons why this is an issue.

What do unnecessary topics look like?

There are many different ways the community members can attempt to prank fellow IFC members. Many topics will involve links to outside sources or images that involve some sort of a meme or joke. Here is an example of an unceesary topic I have seen today.

Why are these topics unnecessary?

They just are Ok? Trust me on this one. And to help explain my point I have copy and pasted some Wikipedia articles below about topics that kind of relate to my point:

Procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something. The word has origin from the Latin procrastinatus , which itself evolved from the prefix pro- , meaning “forward,” and crastinus , meaning “of tomorrow.” It could be further stated as a habitual or intentional delay of starting or finishing a task despite knowing it might have negative consequences. It is a common human experience involving delay in everyday chores or even putting off salient tasks such as attending an appointment, submitting a job report or academic assignment, or broaching a stressful issue with a partner. Although typically perceived as a negative trait due to its hindering effect on one’s productivity often associated with depression, low self-esteem, guilt and inadequacy, it can also be considered a wise response to certain demands that could present risky or negative outcomes or require waiting for new information to arrive.”

Productivity describes various measures of the efficiency of production. Often, a productivity measure is expressed as the ratio of an aggregate output to a single input or an aggregate input used in a production process, i.e. output per unit of input, typically over a specific period of time. The most common example is the (aggregate) labour productivity measure, e.g., such as GDP per worker. There are many different definitions of productivity (including those that are not defined as ratios of output to input) and the choice among them depends on the purpose of the productivity measurement and/or data availability. The key source of difference between various productivity measures is also usually related (directly or indirectly) to how the outputs and the inputs are aggregated into scalars to obtain such a ratio-type measure of productivity. Types of production are mass production and batch production.

“A meme (/miːm/ MEEM ) is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads by means of imitation from person to person within a culture and often carries symbolic meaning representing a particular phenomenon or theme. A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices, that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.”

Rickrolling , alternatively Rick-rolling or Rickroll , is a prank and an Internet meme involving an unexpected appearance of the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley song “Never Gonna Give You Up”. The meme is a type of bait and switch using a disguised hyperlink that leads to the music video. When victims click on a seemingly unrelated link, the site with the music video loads instead of what was expected, and in doing so they are said to have been “Rickrolled”. The meme has also extended to using the song’s lyrics in unexpected places.”

Sources: Wikipedia probably

Conclusion:

Just don’t make unnecessary topics because they are so unnecessary. Thanks for reading and have a great day?

18 Likes

I gotta say, I don’t laugh at half of the jokes unless they seem like effort was put into them and they are original which is the key thing.

6 Likes

I don’t trust no one today

15 Likes

Watts has too much time on his hands.

2 Likes

That might be true, then again, it was worth it

Ok thanks for the info the sources really hit home for me :)

1 Like

I am glad I could help sir!

1 Like

Lol I clicked a link and got this advert showing up : https://youtu.be/G05OCmfjap8

1 Like

Woah! Is that an ad for Flex Seal’s new Flex Shot apart of the Flex Seal Family of Products®?

3 Likes

Yeah strangely I’m in Europe so that brand doesn’t exist here

advertisement

This wasn’t off topic, was it? I was just minimodding like a good IFC boi

3 Likes

No I think that post is appropriate because it is confirming a new feature

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 3 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

I instinctively went to click the orange pencil that wasn’t there.

2 Likes

Rip best topic in the past 15 minutes

I’ve never lost so many brain cells looking at IFC topics

1 Like

Lucky for me I don’t have any brain cells to loose!

rip

3 Likes

You should join the IFAET if you want to loose brain cells. Ain’t that right @Ryan?

OMG the first time I’m thankful my school blocked yt on my computer.