Odd violations

Last night, I flew the British 77W from WSSS to EGLL, a 13 hour flight. A seemingly routine and normal flight, cruise at fl350 at M.86, and speed regulations being followed on takeoff and landing. I was at the controls for the first and last hour of the flight (on and off during cruise) I never once saw the speed warning, or any other violation common during takeoff and landing, but I somehow ended the flight with 6 violations. I’m wondering, how did these violations happen? Here are possible factors

-Close aircraft proximity (I was intercepted by a f-16 briefly)
-No-fly zone (might not have checked my flight plan properly)
-overshot destination (woke up over Ireland)
-overweight landing (I had about 3 hours fuel in reserve)(I assumed that I wasn’t, but didn’t check)

Is somebody has any idea how these 6 violations happened? Could you clarify below? Thanks for the help guys!

I find it would be helpful for users to be able to look back and see what specific types of violations they got, and if possible, where. This would probably help people learn to avoid them better.
Thanks again!

4 Likes

Check here for violation removals.

1 Like

It could be because you were flying too fast at some point when you weren’t watching.
What was your Mach cruising speed?

Match 0.86 was my fastest speed

Ok so you should have been far enough from the red dots I think.
Because otherwise what could have happened is a drop of tailwind or increase in headwind all of a sudden and that means that your plane doesn’t have time to react and you get a speed violation.

It could be that your airspeed was close to the overspeed limit, and somewhere in your flight your airspeed increased by itself causing the speed violations.

Thanks for the reminder

Lately the weather has been coming and going once in a while so that could explain changing speeds rapidly passing from 100kts to 0…

For future reference:
No, it should not. This is a question regarding what could have caused it, not an issue that requires troubleshooting.

6 Likes

You could’ve encountered turbulence during your flight so M86 could’ve gone upto 88 so violation perhaps?

Heavies have a speed limit of M0.90 (when the violation triggers); and I thought winds only increase GS not IAS.

Turbulence drastically changes your airspeed in a short time. I’m taking about those winds not the Jetstreams

1 Like

It does, but if it’s a quick change it also changes airspeed for a few seconds.
Try it on solo. You put headwind and then pause it and change to no wind.
I would do it on autopilot to get the same effect as what I think might have happened.

So isn’t there any way to deal with this? Because I’m sure the autopilot would try and slow the plane as fast as possible.

I agree turbulence can have really dramatic effects.
Although there have been people complaining about rapid loss of wind so I think that one or even both things could have happened.

I don’t remember having this issue although some people did have it.
The only thing I could think of is slowing down.
(Other people know better so this might not be the problem)

Not possible. Change in the winds affect your ground speed and not mach number

If only there was a place to see violations? There can be, if I can count on your vote.

6 Likes

Would be cool if you had a option to go back and see the parts where you got a violation in a recording. And when you saw it and don’t need it anymore you can delete the recording.

1 Like

Try doing what I said earlier on with solo. I just tried and it worked.
That obviously only happens if wind instantly goes from 100 to 0 kts.