NZWN weather watch (50+ knot winds scheduled)

Winds in wellingtion are scheduled to pick up in next hour or so and over next 3 days be consistently gusting above 40 knots. Would reccomed trying out flying in this extreme weather.

I would of posted this here but sadly it’s closed.

Recommend Routes

NZAA - NZWN (320 Air NZ/jetstar)
NZQN - NZWN
NZCH - NZWN
YSSY - NZWN

If your wondering why wellingtion is quite often windy

As shown in the screenshot wind often funnels in between the south and north islands of New Zealand.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the storm of the month. Good luck flying here, you’ll need it

2 Likes

Nonono,you should fly at RJBB,RJGG,RJTT,and RJAA tomorrow. There’s the biggest typhoon in Japan for about 50 years. School said they might cancel,but that’s fine with me 😂

4 Likes

Wonder if that will cause any delays tonight, as it caused a bit of trouble at Queenstown last night! Both JQ223 and NZ625 had a couple of go around’s each before diverting to Christchurch. Was blowing a gale here in Wanaka at the time so I’d assume it would have been much worse in Queenstown with the Southerly crosswind!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard it can get pretty hectic in Queenstown sometimes.

I’ve been to Wellington a few times, during these I storms. I remember landing there, and the crosswind was so heavy that I, as a passenger, could see the runway in front of us. Great fun!

4 Likes

Ah, my soon to be home airport seems windy! I’m going to pop down there, it’s an absolutely beautiful airport!

1 Like

I had that once in Dusseldorf, it was scary for my classmates (we were on a school trip), but great fun for me. We were supposed to land on 23R but ended up landing on 23L becuase of the 27kt crosswind :)

That was awesome

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.