NTSB released info on Atlas 3591

The National Transportation Safety Board opened the public docket Thursday as part of its ongoing investigation of the Feb. 23, 2019, Atlas Air flight 3591 crash into Trinity Bay, Texas.

The accident occurred when a Boeing 767-300 Atlas Air cargo jet entered a rapid descent from 6,200 feet and impacted a marshy bay area about 40 miles from Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport. The two pilots and one non-revenue jumpseat pilot were fatally injured. The airplane was destroyed. The airplane was carrying cargo from Miami to Houston for Amazon Inc., and the US Postal Service. You can read the report here at the Avherld. Its a tough read.

The incident is still under investigation and this is not the final report of Giant 3591.

32 Likes

Yes. Agreed. Should’ve read it first.

Was quite a heartfelt read of the incident.

1 Like

It definitely was heartbreaking to read. The Pilot nor the Co-Pilot had no clue on what is going on.

RIP All 3 Crew Members.

Now knowing my IQ 92983829 would usually make a meme, but stuff like this aren’t jokes. So no meme for this.

4 Likes

It’s so saddening to read the transcript. Prime Air seems too new to have a crash.

1 Like

Atlas has had a few incidents in the past. This was their second major accident.

1 Like

Well then I hope Qantas Freight flights operated by Atlas Air using the 747-400 and 747-8 or any Atlas flights for that matter don’t make the same mistakes. It may only be a few lives in this cargo situation, but there’s still so much loss.

1 Like

We’re not sure what went wrong, once NTSB released their final report Atlas will probably fix whatever went wrong

1 Like

Man, those last words were really sad to read…

4 Likes

It’s really heart breaking

1 Like

Wow very sad, those last words gave my the chills

1 Like

12:39:02.0 HOT-2 Lord * * you have my soul. [Shouted.]

Man, that last transmission was heart breaking and chilling to read 💔

3 Likes

This part of the article

In the ACARS report no messages indicating system failures were contained. The report closes with a message of dispatch to the crew asking “PLS COFIRM STATUS…R U OK”.

That ACARS message, is tough to read because Of the “R U OK”

3 Likes

Heart breaking 💔. Wonder what happened?

2 Likes

It’s a sad incident it’s going be interesting read the final report

Incredible to read this, I was at IAH the day of the incident, and the initial fear and confusion of the general public was immense, probably not helped by the fact that it was reported initially as a “big passenger plane crash”.
Interesting how the signs are pointing to an engagement of TO/GA with flaps extended, and presumably pretty light, those package freighters bulk out before they hit any real loads.
The sudden increase of thrust and either the sharp increase in vertical speed or rapid nose drop, probably caught the crew off guard and gave the FO the impression of a stall.
I just cannot fathom why or how the TO/GA switches could have been accidentally tripped, they are on the back of the throttle, under the handles, and take a significant amount of pressure to activate.
Also mind-boggling is through all of this the autopilot stayed engaged, how on earth did that no kick off at some point during that rodeo.
The final report will be enlightening to read.
May all 3 onboard Giant 3591 rest easy…

2 Likes

Definitely tough to read, seen the video is even worse…

1 Like

Missing a M. A tragic accident. I believe I was a stall but would like to find out more

1 Like

Ops thanks for catching! It’s going be an interesting read after it’s released

1 Like

If you’re interested in the full docket you may find it here

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=63168&CFID=3041421&CFTOKEN=9eb7f19d5413e33d-334C8CF1-0FB6-0B0B-EFEC7294646BA690

1 Like

Its sad sounds like something completely preventable

1 Like