NTSB Blames Hageland for 2016 Togiak Crash but it gets worse.

Before I start, I had the privilege of attending this NTSB investigation hearing with my Director of Operations. NTSB held a very rare local hearing in Anchorage. If you ever have the opportunity to attend one I highly recommend it!

In 2016 a Cessna 208B Operating as Hagelend (Under Ravn Connection) had a Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT) near Togiak, Alaska. NTSB determined that the pilots were perfectly healthy before the accident, but blame Ravn for their training
Shaun Williams (Special investigator) found shortcomings in Hageland Aviation Services’ pilot training. He came to the conclusion that in this particular crash, pilots turned off their Terrain Awareness and Warning System.

The NTSB identified the following safety issues as a result of this accident investigation:

1. Inadequacies in Hageland’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-approved
    crew resource management (CRM) training program
  2. Inadequate FAA oversight of Hageland’s CRM training program.
  3. Lack of FAA requirements for CFIT-avoidance training programs for Part 135
    fixed-wing operations.
  4. Lack of effective TAWS protections and nuisance-alert mitigations for flights that
    operate under VFR at altitudes below the TAWS RTC.
  5. Hageland’s inadequate guidance for pilots’ use of the terrain inhibit switch for the
    TAWS alerts.
  6. TAWS design limitations that require pilot action to uninhibit the alerts after they
    have been inhibited.
  7. Need for safety management systems (SMS) for Part 135 operators.
  8. Need for flight data monitoring (FDM) programs (and supporting devices) for
    Part 135 operators.
  9. Lack of assurance that operators implemented Medallion Foundation programs
    effectively.
  10. Need for improved infrastructure to support IFR operations in Alaska.
  11. Lack of a requirement for crash-resistant flight recorder systems capable of
    capturing cockpit audio and images for Part 135 operators.
  12. Need for improved sharing of pilot weather reports (PIREPs) in remote areas in
    Alaska.

You can read the causes and other NTSB recommendations at

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this
accident was the flight crew’s decision to continue the visual flight rules flight into deteriorating
visibility and their failure to perform an immediate escape maneuver after entry into instrument
meteorological conditions, which resulted in controlled flight into terrain (CFIT). Contributing to
the accident were (1) Hageland’s allowance of routine use of the terrain inhibit switch for
inhibiting the terrain awareness and warning system alerts and inadequate guidance for
uninhibiting the alerts, which reduced the margin of safety, particularly in deteriorating visibility;
(2) Hageland’s inadequate crew resource management (CRM) training; (3) the Federal Aviation
Administration’s failure to ensure that Hageland’s approved CRM training contained all the
required elements of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations 135.330; and (4) Hageland’s CFITavoidance
ground training, which was not tailored to the company’s operations and did not address
current CFIT-avoidance technologies.

So you’re asking yourself, “Mark, why does it get worse?”

Today Hageland yet once again crashed one of their 208Bs near Barrow, the pilot survived and was the only surviour, thankfully he’s okay!

8 Likes

Finaly somthing intresting you did I could do too!😂

1 Like

Really cool though, very intresting it sounds.

1 Like

y tho? It’s a lifesaving feature that saves lives. In what circumstance would someone turn it off?

1 Like

I actually had a great time at the hearing! (Irony) and found it very useful and met other people in the industry, all day we discussed safety which was amazing and ping ideas off each other.

1 Like

Yoda I am now! Sorry for the grammar

So if I remember correctly, the lead pilot said it would go off when they were flying low and so it was a thing they would do

Here’s the hearing. Really interesting video!

3 Likes

I remember that crash. Wasn’t the same pilot later flying drunk or without a license or something like that?

Togak? No
The pilot in the Togak crash was legal.
Not sure about today’s though.

Hmm some other crash up here then

There was a guy in a Cessna 206 who didn’t have a cert and was high doing aerobatics at his daughters wedding that killed himself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.