NOTAM: Unknown Aircraft/Can’t communicate with ATC

Effective Immediately: Moderators will no longer reverse ghosts if UNKNOWN and unable to communicate with ATC

Through extensive testing and investigations we have determined that aircraft are labeled unknown and we’re unable to communicate as ATC when the pilot leaves Infinite Flight during their flight. Leaving the app or some forms of multitasking will cause a break in connection which also results in becoming UNKNOWN. A constant internet connection is required to use Infinite Flight.

I’d encourage you all to only do flights you’re able to complete in it’s entirety. If you do find yourself in a situation where you’re unable to communicate with ATC please follow the traffic flow, maintain proper separation, and treat it as UNICOM where you maneuver appropriately within the airspace. Controllers have been told to be patient and treat you as a NORDO, only ghosting if you interfere.

Thank you all for your understanding!

186 Likes

I think this is a great new thing. I have no problem with this. If my Internet Connection goes haywire all of a sudden, I’ll just accept it and move on. Thanks for making ATC easier! :)

17 Likes

Sounds good. Its high time that this was implemented

5 Likes

Of course! We wanted to tread lightly with this and rule out any issues on our end. Through investigation we found that people were out of the app for 5-15 minutes at a time, returning only to negatively affect everyone around them which isn’t very fair.

The issue is self-inflicted and we do want to encourage everyone to maintain a constant connection which is required as our store description has outlined.

29 Likes

End flight or divert to another, non ATC airport if this happens? An expert pilot would not want to land at an airport where he/she cannot communicate with the active ATC…Flights are diverted all the time IRL

4 Likes

Does the pilot know if they are unknown?

4 Likes

Tyler, thank you for putting this out there. Is there any way for us to know if we are “unknown?” Or do we just hope?

My internet is pretty stable (have only had an issue once or twice) and is normally fixed with a simple restart. Thanks for all that you and the FDS team do!

EDIT: @Trio got to it before I could…

5 Likes

Yup, both great options.

A pilot will know because they’re not getting an acknowledgement from the controller or unable to contact ATC at all.

9 Likes

Good question. I’d be curious. But this is when they say” you’re in active airspace” Uncontrollably so…

1 Like

Well done! Now that this has been cleared up, there probably won’t be many threads involving being ghosted due to this reason

So the frequencies will show, the pilot will be able to tune into the frequency, but neither will be able to communicate. Do I have that right?

2 Likes

Is “Ghosted because unknown” going to be an available ghosting reason in the upcoming update?

3 Likes

It will be listed on there.

7 Likes

You’ll know when you’re unknown when you send a response to a controller and you don’t get a response back in a minute or two if in a busy airspace. If you’re the only one in the airspace and you send a response and don’t get anything back within a few seconds, you’re unknown. Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

8 Likes

That is correct. Either one or both can’t send any instructions in this scenario.

6 Likes

I just read this after my internet went down briefly, guess I’m lucky not to have been ghosted. What us the proper procedure?

3 Likes

Also if it’s clear you are unknown and you are planning on landing at a busy airport, just don’t! It’s not fair on the controller at all if it’s self inflicted upon yourself. Easiest thing to do is divert, if it’s quiet it’s more understandable to try and accommodate you but think about the others who will need to deal with you.

5 Likes

It’s listed above in Tyler’s post.

Fly as if on Unicom. Follow flow of traffic. Tyler already answered in detail above so I won’t re-hash

1 Like

The proper procedure is to follow the sequence and do not interfere with the sequence follow all traffic flows for the arrival/departure

Via Tyler “where you’re unable to communicate with ATC please follow the traffic flow, maintain proper separation, and treat it as UNICOM where you maneuver appropriately within the airspace. Controllers have been told to be patient and treat you as a NORDO, only ghosting if you interfere.”

1 Like

It’s usually not caused by short outages like that.
But by exiting the app for a time and messing around with something else, and then re-enter the app.

You’ll notice if you exit the app for a period, and the reenters it that the app will have to reconnect. That’s where the issue is, most likely.

5 Likes