NOTAM: Heavy Winds In Northeastern Pacific, Challenging Flight

Hello All,

Today I embarked on a very windy and challenging flight from Seattle-Tacoma (KSEA) to Anchorage (PANC) on board the Alaskan 739. After climbing to about FL340, flying over the Seattle bay I met some very incredible wind speeds of nearly 100 knots, making for a very turbulent flight. I had to ascend and then descend to various flight levels and even completely change my flight plan mid flight to avoid going over the coastline, where the heavy winds originated from after referencing windy.com (a very good source for wind speeds and weather issues). I had to divert to another airport after realizing I had used much more fuel than anticipated while climbing.

I wanted to make this announcement for all of the community’s challenge-hungry pilots who are looking for a chance to fly through some intense winds. This very interesting weather system is going to be off the western Canadian seaboard until around Monday December 17th. Please check it out if you have the chance! I personally have never experienced winds this heavy on an IF flight, and I learned a lot from the experience. My suggestions for you if you are looking to fly through this are pack plenty of fuel and be prepared to divert/re-route.

Please reference Windy.com for further information.

Hope you enjoy this rare North Pacific weather. Happy flights!

CaptainDwyer

3 Likes

This might be better in the #live category

1 Like

Thanks mate. Wasn’t really sure where to put it. Saw that a mod moved so hopefully it’s all good now.

1 Like

This is totally normal at all: this is called jet-stream. Jet-stream can exceed nearly 150-200 kts. Thanks for reminding us.

Edit: It is unnecessary to post it, but I know there is a tracking thread where you can post, and I do not know the topic’s name for it.

2 Likes

I have hit 160+ knot turbulence before. Nothing quite like it.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but isn’t the jet stream farther south? I’m not really much of a weather guy, just thought some might enjoy it.

Right over Seattle

1 Like

Ah I see, you learn something new every day I guess.

1 Like

You could post this here and get this thread going again!

2 Likes

I think the main purpose of this thread was to inform other pilots of the strong turbulence in the area, not a flight report.

1 Like

The wind is created in many different ways. The main source of the wind is the radiation. As the radiation hit the ground and heat up. The heat air rise and cold air sink causing a convection. Convection can make wind, especially in the high altitude. The air in the high altitude will become cold. The cold air will move south while warm air in the ground level move north causing a convection. The earth is moving which is the rotation and that will affect the wind movement. The wind turns to east in the northern hemisphere while the wind turns to west in the southern hemisphere. These will make Jet-Stream. I always want to be meteorologist.

2 Likes

Which is what a PIREP is.

And it was just a friendly suggestion to contribute to the thread made for this exact kind of post

2 Likes

Nice! My advice is to stick with it!

Mods can close this/delete it now and I’ll move it to the other post.

2 Likes

In the eastern cost too

but for my luck it was tailwind so I didn’t had any problem at all but i would like to have inside the game a way to see where the winds are like a meteosat

1 Like

Would love to see @DeerCrusher ‘s PIREPS thread get some more love.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.