Not knowing how to talk to atc when staying in the pattern

I was controlling ATC at EGLL and I had multiple planes do touch and goes and when they would land they would automatically send “going around”. When remaining in the pattern, you don’t have to tell tower you’re going around because if you request inbound for touch and goes, they already know you are getting back into the pattern. They will give pattern instructions as soon as you take back off if you need any.

4 Likes

I’m guessing this was TS?

EGLL is a very hard place to control on TS, it’s just how it is unfortunately people are learning what the commands mean and how they work, the best way to get people to actually listen to you is to create a ATC tracking thread using the tutorial below:

To become a real qualified controller on ES use the link below:

4 Likes

As you give clear for the option to the pilot who is flying pattern,you can do full stop or continue doing pattern works.But you can’t do anything in training server,why not join IFATC and controlling in ES

2 Likes

I need to get better myself before i do that. I’m pretty good now but I just need to get better.

1 Like

The manual on the community of ATC is a useful tool for learning about control.

1 Like

Also community members can give you personal feedback if you make a tracking thread! Or you can apply for IFATC and use ATC training.

1 Like

Even on expert server, 9 out of 10 people that say they are staying in the pattern end up not remaining in the pattern and simply depart the airspace.

For the ones that do stay in the pattern, half ascend to way above pattern altitude and proceed to fly anything but a correct pattern.

From a controllers perspective, I cringe every time I hear “remaining in the pattern.”

9 Likes

You can always add no pattern work allowed in the ATIS, correct?

You can, however, I always allow it unless traffic or weather dictate not allowing it.

There are quite a few very good pilots that come and fly correct patterns. No reason to penalize them because of the folks that don’t know correct procedures.

I see, i get that especially on smaller airports.

Well, flying a pattern at 1500ft is not a good way of practicing landings in a commercial aircraft…

Plenty of uncontrolled fields to fly at if you don’t like IF pattern altitude guidelines. Folks can fly at whatever altitude they like and fly 25 mile downwind legs for each approach.

Staying at the appropriate altitude at a controlled field (especially a single runway field) is vital for the controller to be able to sequence pattern work with other arrivals. The alternative is to sequence pattern work behind aircraft on a long final (or give 360 commands on the downwind), however, most folks would complain about flying a long downwind or flying a 360.

There is a pattern altitude guideline for a reason. Those that don’t want to adhere have thousands of airports they can use on any given day.

2 Likes

I would also like to add that another reason as to why maintaining pattern altitude is crucial.

If aircraft flying patterns aren’t flying at the correct altitude, this can and will interfere with aircraft that are transitioning through the airspace.

2 Likes

Completely agree, depending on what altitude you transition the aircrafts.

I’m not saying pattern altitude should be different…
But how on earth do you tell ATC you want to do a circuit at 3000ft on takeoff?
Also, go arounds…

The FAF for a lot of airports without terrain is around 1500’ meaning it’s pretty good for practicing approaches

At most airports you would at least be on centre line at like 3000ft though

If you’re using the full procedure and there is no terrain. If ATC radar vectors you to final you’re going to probably intercept 2 miles outside the approach gate at 30 degrees intercept. All depends on MVAs and MIAs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.