Not enough fuel

I am doing KSFO to VOBL in an B789 and I have filled the plane with 1:30 min of extra fuel and now when I check I am short of 40 min of fuel can some one tell me if I should be worried about this thanks

Nope, no worries. This is due to the fact that you are heavy, but as you burn fuel it will become a lighter load = more efficient.

4 Likes

Yea but when I took off after I reached cursing alt and after 30 min I checked it. was 1:30 extra fuel but after 2 hours Its shows I am 40 min short

1 Like

Remember that you can always divert.

Diverting may not be an option for me

As already mentioned, you’ll burn less fuel as you get lighter. Don’t forget you’ve still got a descent also, you’ll burn less fuel during that too.

4 Likes

Where abouts are you in the journey? If you’ve recently reached cruise, there really won’t be an issue. The 787 in game is very reliable on fuel.

2 Likes

Yea I know that you get lighter as you go

1 Like

Not at all, there’s basically some things that may cause this

1. Strong winds in your altitude and location
  2. If you’re still climbing, you will be using a bit of fuel with the power that the aircraft is doing to reach the cruise altitude.
  3. If you’re changing MACHs, which over the flight, you basically do, you will spend a bit more of fuel until reach that speed

I personally recommend put a bit more than 1h30 of extra fuel, as you’re in a long haul, there could be a lot of different weather as you cross the points, one of them is the strong wind.

1 Like

@WingContact I put max fuel in the B789 and I managed not to be overweight

Oh so you’re probably fine, just relax and enjoy your flight :)

you can alllwaayys diveeert

4 Likes

SFO-BLR is a route which stretches the capabilities of the 787-9. Before United Airlines starts flying it, they are planning to make modifications to the aircraft and fly it with a lighter load and possibly a different configuration. This is due a combination of the elevation of BLR airport and the distance of the flight. As for IF fuel estimates, they are often inaccurate early in the flight, so I wouldn’t assume that your fuel would run out if it says so at the beginning of the flight. If it does indeed run out before VOBL, I think VIDP should be somewhere near the route, or maybe even VOHS if you can make it that close to VOBL.

1 Like

I am planning my diversions right now

1 Like

What will the passengers think when they find out the pilot can’t load the right fuel laugh out loud.

1 Like

lol pilot casually says Passengers prepare to swim with the fishes .

1 Like

You’re doing this route in a 789?
Next time, try a 777LR. That’s the standard one that Air India sends to KSFO from India. It’s just too far, to send any other type.
Hope you land safe, wherever you are!

Just for awareness, and this should have been asked already but what height did you climb to for your cruise?

I’ve also a question regarding fuel and capacity: normally I use simbrief for planning my flights and loading. After many flights I can say I have more fuel loaded than I actually need. I leave extra fuel at 30 min most of the time . But I land most of the routes with fuel up to 2h left. I mean, yes that’s ok and everyone in the plane feels good :) but I’m not sure if this makes sense.
Any ideas about that?

Simbrief and Fptoif are often unreliable when it comes to routes and fuel. Use some of the topics below for reference ;)

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/fuel-burn-spreadsheet-prop-update/91365?u=zachary_naponic

http://onlineflightplanner.org/

2 Likes

also remember if you are using an aircraft that has fuel dumping capabilities, its better have too much than not enough 😳 - Cheers!