Nose up on landing

my smoothest nose up landings are achieved with the 787-8. Make sure the aircraft is under MLW, around 140 knots (depending on weight) and set the trim to around a positive 55 degrees. After that around 10 to 20 feet before touchdown, reduce thrust to idle, and slowly raise the nose up. Works with most aircraft too, although they each have their own speeds/trim setting.

Aerodynamic braking is used a lot in military jets for the purpose of slowing down without using the brakes. Easy to do in a light weight single seat fighter.

In an airliner it is most definitely NOT recommended. Large swept wing jets don’t take kindly to aerodynamic braking and those sitting in the front won’t appreciate you being unable to arrest the rotation rate when the taileron runs out of aerodynamic authority!

The issue with airliners is that you have heavy weight, high speed equaling high inertia and energy. You don’t want to go off the end so you’ll be using reverse thrust and spoilers to dump lift. These two combined will give you a fast nose down rotation around the main gear. Slow the rotation and ‘fly’ the nose wheel onto the runway but don’t try and hold it off, it will end in tears or a broken nose wheel.

Again, fine in fighters and small aircraft (until you dink the prop) but not to be used in big, swept wing jets. The videos you mention are probably just flying the nose wheel on and taking a bit of time. (look for videos of F15 Eagles doing aerodynamic braking and you’ll see the difference)

3 Likes

I’ve been flying this sims for years and can rarely fly the nose down just right. It would be a lot more satisfying if the devs could get this figured out through improved physics or whatever.

1 Like

It’s the activation of landing spoilers when main gear touches down that causes the nose to “smack” the runway most of the time. It “glues” the plane down so to speak and causes your speed to drop drastically. Maybe FDS could make it so the landing spoilers don’t deploy until all gear is on the ground. This would cause you to use more runway to stop but will give you plenty of time to gently set the nose down.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your explanation. Although on every single airliner video I saw I’m sure nose stayed up a lot longer as I manage to achieve in IF.

Yes,but that depends on the surrounding air in real flight

Hey, to ensure the nose up while landing put throttle on idle just before you touch down (at 20 or 30 ft) and have a landing speed of 140-155 knots on a small aircraft and for medium and large have a speed of 160 ish knots and with full flaps with spoilers armed. A wee trick is not to put reverse thrust on until you want to touch down as this reduces speed fast and will bring the front wheel(s) down faster and when you want to come down touch the nose wheel down and after 1 second apply brakes and set reverse thrust,

Matthew

I usually reduce my power to idle just before the threshold of the runway!

Throttle should be reduced at the 30ft callout. On the 737 I keep a bit of power in until 10ft callout for a bit of a softer touch. I’d reduce throttle just before the threshold if I was in the 172 lol

1 Like

I believe what you are talking about is called flaring the nose. Pilots flare the nose of the plane to make sure the back wheels hit the ground first, as they can withstand more weight and pressure than the nose wheel. They also use this technique to slow the plane down both aerodynamically and slow the tires down.

I would try a slower approach, changing the flaps down to full and slowly lowering the nose once you have touched down. You don’t necessarily have to hold the nose up for a long time, just enough to slow down a little. As said above, also reduce you power to idle at about 50-30 feet above the runway (the Airbus A320 series will call out your height).

This is a techniques that requires practice, and it helps it you have a joystick, because APPR won’t do it.

3 Likes

IMG_4088
Holding the nose on a 73 is possible, just keep practicing, I would aggre that the MD is a good place to start as many have said prior…

He’s talking about holding the flare off an flying the nose down to the ground as it tends to violently slam down after the the two main gear touch down.

@Chad_Garnett refer to here.

Yes you are correct.

I’ve read the entire topic already. Thanks

Some good tips mentioned. :)