Norwegian 787 loses parts on Departure: Damaged Roofs and Cars

Last Saturday on August 10th, 2019, Norwegian Flight DY7115 took off from Rome Fiumicino Airport headed for Los Angeles with 298 passengers on board. Shortly after the departure, the airplane suffered an engine failure, and the pilots announced that they would head back to Rome.

Picture Source: Flightradar24

The aircraft, a 5.5 year old Boeing 787-8 reportedly lost some parts of its engine during its climb. Those parts then fell down in the city of Rome, where they damaged roofs and cars. Because of the air resistance, the parts started to heat up during the fall, so they were glowing. Luckily, nobody on the ground was hurt.

image image
Picture Source: Roma Repubblica

The incident is now under investigation by ENAC, the Italian Flight Safety Agency. The subject aircraft is still on the ground in Rome.

Sources:

24 Likes

Well, lets see if their 787’s will be grounded again.

It was a failure of the engine, not the 787 in general. I’m pretty sure this won’t end in a grounding.

7 Likes

Wow, really interesting stuff. Very very lucky nobody got hurt!

Read this in the norwegian news papers yesterday, sad story, hope the plane is up and flying in no time

hope everyone was okay. good piloting

I guess another RR Trent 1000 issue.

1 Like

Im mostly thinking if its another issue with the rolls royce engines, theyve been troublesome.

First off:

RIP Windscreen…

But srsly:

Glad no one was hurt

1 Like

I’m glad nobody was injured, but that is scary, for the passengers and people on ground.

I highly, highly doubt that the debris was heated by aerodynamic processes. That only really becomes significant at extremely high speeds, far beyond what a modern airliner (or any debris it spawns) will manage.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought that as well after I wrote it. Might have been just a reflection the people saw or the pieces were already that hot before they fell off.

1 Like

The pieces probably only fell a few thousand feet, and would have had a lot of drag from the atmosphere, so they wouldn’t be falling that fast to aerodynamically heat up like @David_Beckett mentioned. They may still have been hot (maybe somewhat glowing) if they had enough friction while remaining spinning around inside the engine before falling out?

Nothing to do with friction either inside or outside the engine. Jet engines operate at high temperatures in the region of 1000°C. This makes the components inside the engine (particularly those aft of the combustion chamber(s) very hot.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.