North Atlantic Track (NAT) Organised Track System (OTS)

Wonderful job, Brandon! A lot of this is new information for me; very relevant, informative, and educational.

I’m curious, why not use the same tracks for both directions but at different altitudes? Is it so that aircraft may fly at any altitude they’d like, effectively avoiding weather and other traffic?

1 Like

Mainly because if an Aircraft has an emergency and has to descend rapidly they don’t want to be going head into other traffic.

2 Likes

Thanks @lucaviness! Great question! Oddly enough, it’s partly due to passenger demand, time zone differences, and airport noise restrictions. During changeover periods, restrictions on planned routes and levels are strictly imposed. In order to ensure a smooth transition from night-time to day-time OTSs and vice-versa, several hours are needed to be authorised by ATC between one system and the next. Which is why whenever I file a FPL in IF, you’ll notice that I have all my altitudes listed so that ATC knows exactly at what ALT I’ll be at a certain WPT. I hope I didn’t make that too complicated 😂

1 Like

Ehhh not too bad a topic 😉

1 Like

Why thank you Mr.@Declan_OHara. I have always appreciated your short and concise opinions 😊

1 Like

Great Job @anon71974898 awesome tutorial

1 Like

Thank you very much @Kevinsoto1502. I sincerely hope it was informative and helpful 😊

1 Like

Great tutorial, Brandon. Well detailed, full of useful information for pilots. Great stuff!

1 Like

Thank you very much @Thomas_G! I greatly appreciate your feedback!

1 Like

Very cool tutorial with loads of interesting charts. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you @JulianB! I hope you found the post interesting, but most of all useful.

1 Like

I definitely did. I rarely cross the Atlantic, but all these entry/exit points are very impressive and it’s a really cool tool to plan trans-Atlantic crossings. Looking forward to using it when flying the TANGO routes or to the Azores. Thanks once again!

1 Like

That’s fantastic! There are actually different/more precise charts I have that I think you’d prefer if you’re planning on going to the Azures. I can PM to you if you’d like.

1 Like

Yes, please feel free to do so as flying to the Azores is definitely on my IF to-do list. Thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome ;)

This is really well written and the graphs are a great help!

Nice work, Brandon.

1 Like

Thank you very much @patrickv! I am working on my next educational short essay. Hopefully more and more people will like them and find them useful 😊

1 Like

I’m gonna bump this because I see alot of people using the current NAT (Z) with the wrong altitudes. Make sure to check the altitudes in use for the NAT! They aren’t always coherent with IFR cruising altitude rules. I think it’s a little to small a request to make a full topic about, but I think the devs should add a note to the NATs that show the altitudes in use.

1 Like

Thank you for your outstanding contribution to the community. This information can now be found in the Flying Guide