Noob Questions

I have read the user guide but I still have a couple of questions regarding it so please do not just link the manual saying it can help me.

1. Is it OK to change your flight plan at decent if you find out your STAR doesn’t comply with the ATC preferred STARS?

2. How do I know what to set my trim and flaps to when taking off? Do I need SimBrief and if so, where do I find the trim and flaps because I can never find them.

3. How do I know my V1 and Rotate speeds?

4. When flight planning, should I bother doing SIDS/STARS because usually, ATC (If active) directs me a different route when I arrive at an airport? If so, should I just do one long route with 0 waypoints or a couple but just have a straight line to my destination?

5. Do you guys use SimBrief to plan your flights? Or is it just me?

6. When I takeoff what should my VS be?

7. If there is no Departure SID what do I set my altitude to, do I just set it to my cruising altitude? Do I need to ask ATC for clearance to change altitude?

8. At what speed/altitude do I retract flaps after takeoff?

9. Does it matter what angle you arrive at the airport pattern? (Like downwind or straight in).

10. If I use a STAR to arrive at a destination and then want to do an automatic landing with ILS would I request a landing with GPS or ILS if ATC is active?

11. For the top of decent formula: Distance = Altitude to lose/1000 x3
    Distance being nautical miles to airport correct? Can you also get the top of decent off SimBrief, if so, where can I find this?

12. Where do you find altitude restrictions? Do I need to get charts and any recommendations where from?

3 Likes

Hello! Here are the included answers:

*Is it OK to change your flight plan at decent if you find out your STAR doesn’t comply with the ATC preferred STARS?

-yes, it is commonly done.

• How do I know what to set my trim and flaps to when taking off? Do I need SimBrief and if so, where do I find the trim and flaps because I can never find them.

Here you go: All Aircraft Takeoff and Landing Profiles (My New Topic, Version 20.1, Wiki!)

• How do I know my V1 and Rotate speeds?

Also in here: All Aircraft Takeoff and Landing Profiles (My New Topic, Version 20.1, Wiki!)

• When flight planning, should I bother doing SIDS/STARS because usually, ATC (If active) directs me a different route when I arrive at an airport? If so, should I just do one long route with 0 waypoints or a couple but just have a straight line to my destination?

I would use STARS, also I would suggest never doing “WPT KLAX OMBD. or such

• Do you guys use SimBrief to plan your flights? Or is it just me?

Most of us do (also here is a toturial: How to Find a Route to Fly)

• When I takeoff what should my VS be?

Usually a 15 degree up lift (here is toturial) https://youtu.be/j8nIWRlKaU0

• If there is no Departure SID what do I set my altitude to, do I just set it to my cruising altitude? Do I need to ask ATC for clearance to change altitude?

You do, unless they clear you without (toturial here: Infinite Flight Pilot Communications Manual)

• At what speed/altitude do I retract flaps after takeoff?

It dosent, but for realisms sake it does

• Does it matter what angle you arrive at the airport pattern? (Like downwind or straight in).

Nope!

• If I use a STAR to arrive at a destination and then want to do an automatic landing with ILS would I request a landing with GPS or ILS if ATC is active?

Yes, when approach is active (toturial here: Infinite Flight Pilot Communications Manual)

• For the top of decent formula: Distance = Altitude to lose/1000 x3
    Distance being nautical miles to airport correct? Can you also get the top of decent off SimBrief, if so, where can I find this?

Link here: https://youtu.be/VS2bzX7InHI

• Where do you find altitude restrictions? Do I need to get charts and any recommendations where from?

They are called TFRs they are the red circles. Toturial Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) - "The Big Red Circle"
[/quote]

3 Likes

Yes you can.

Have a look here.

It’s listed in the topic I provided above.

If your flying into a airport with active ATC. I recommend to. If your not, you don’t have to.

I use FpltoIF.

I put it to +2000.

You can set it to your cruising altitude.

Depending on what aircraft you use. It’s usually in the aircraft cockpit. Here’s for all of the aircraft. This topic is a bit old. But it still is useful.

For downwind it should be the opposite runway’s heading, and for straight in, it would normally be the runway your landing on heading. Or you can use the ILS which can be found if you tap on the airport’s icon on the map, and then go to where it says “RWYS” and then select the runway your landing on. Sometimes the runway your landing on doesn’t have a ILS, so you probably will have to fly a visual approach or a GPS approach.

You would request ILS.

Yes, the nautical miles is from your destination airport. To answer your other question, I don’t know if you can, you’ll have to ask someone that uses SimBrief. If you use a STAR that has altitudes for decend, you can activate VNAV which will automatically descend for you. And, always arm VNAV with 1 minute to your top of decend.

FpltoIF uses NOTAMS and altitude restrictions from SimBrief.

I hoped this helped.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Your welcome!

No problem! If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Great questions and good on you for reaching out to learn more and become a better flyer. I’ve been flying the IF skies for 7 or so years now, and I’m always learning new things.

3 Likes

It is, but more often than not, ATC will ask you to amend your flight plan before you even begin your descent. If you’re already descending, we’re encouraged to simply vector you instead of having you amend the FPL.

Each aircraft is different. There are a lot of general tutorials for these settings around the forum written by our amazing community members. Feel free to search around for the aircraft of your choice, and I’m sure you’ll find a tutorial for that plane.

You can use fpltoif.com and other similar websites to calculate V1 and Rotation speeds. A third-party add-on, Infinite Flight Assistant, also automatically inputs these speeds, but it can be inaccurate at times.

It’s encouraged you have a full flight plan with procedures from start to finish. It makes everyone’s lives easier, and it’s realistic. With regards to ATC taking you off your procedure, it’s mostly due to traffic reasons. In Infinite Flight, traffic numbers, especially at hubs, can be extremely unrealistic and as a result, we’ll need to manually vector you to keep the flow going as smoothly as possible. We can also take you off the procedure to expedite your arrival as well. That said, please still have them in your flight plan whenever possible. It makes our lives a lot easier.

Up to you! One of our community members, Chris, has made a great website called fpltoif.com, which makes Infinite Flight flight plans for you.

It depends on the plane. Generally, aim for a pitch of 15 degrees until you’re at V2, and then lower your nose to accelerate. Tyler, our ATC Community Manager, has a great video this! Check it out here!

Simply set it to your cruise altitude! You also have no need to request for clearance upon your climb to cruise, unless you were previously restricted by ATC at a certain altitude. This is actually a very common mistake people make. Upon departure, simply contact ATC by saying “Check-in” OR request “IFR Flight Following.” Doing both of these grants you permission to fly along your FPL and climb at will. However, once you reach cruise, you’ll need to request altitude changes if you’re with Center.

It depends. I personally retract them at around the speed limits for the flaps, or a bit over 200kts.

Nope, not really. Us ATC will work with you as necessary.

Request an ILS, please. GPS Approaches are only allowed if you have an approved GPS Approach. These approaches start with H, R, L, D, S, X, and sometimes, RNV. You’ll see the first five letters most.

Yes. To get the TOD, you can calculate it yourself as explained here, or you can simply let VNAV do the job for you.

You can find these NOTAMS and restrictions on charts, or flight planning websites.

Welcome to the community, and thank you for taking the time to ask these questions and being willing to learn how to fly the Infinite Flight skies! Feel free to reply or PM me if there are further questions I can help answer.