No warnings?

Hi IFC,

Today i was flying from CYYZ to EHAM in an KLM 747-400. I was on short final, and i set 1000ft in the autopilot. When the aircraft came to 1000ft, I reduced the speed to 160 knots (I read on an topic here that the landing speed of an 747 was 140 knots so i thought i was okay) after i did that, i lowered the gear and watched how it lowered. When i got back in the cockpit i checked everything before taking manual. I saw there that i forgot to set my flaps, they were still on 5°. I wanted to set them to full but in an blink of an eye i saw my plane on 400ft and rapidly desending. As an last try to survive, i applied full power and retracted the gear (go-around), but it wouldnt matter, i crashed into a feeld close to Schiphol.

My general question is, shouldnt i have got a approaching stall or a stall warning? If that had been the case, i could have performed a go around. And if the landing speed from a 747 is 140 knots, why was i stalling at 160kt?

Your weight must have played a big factor in this.

Hey there you probably did hear the stall warning but for the weight of the B747 you shouldn’t go below your V-speeds and putting all your flaps down will cause your plane nose to go up which probably caused you do go down to 400 ft hope this could help you

BA001

1 Like

Why you didn’t receive a stall warning: 160kts is not low enough
Why you stalled at 160kt: Flaps 5

And according to your words, the controls of yours played a huge role in this ‘incident’, nobody lowers the gear that late and flaps are still 5 after gear is lowered (should be around 10-20 by then), I suggest you either ignore the ‘manual’ or do it earlier to prevent this.

1 Like

Thank you my friend you are very realistic

1 Like

Who? What do you mean?

Aight, thanks all! I think we can blame this accident to me, the pilot, for forgetting the flaps…

2 Likes

Thank you for the help, but i dont think i lowered the gear to late. I was 6.5 nm out

Ah I see, no problem.

1 Like

Mods can close this now to user request

1 Like