No Such Thing as too Much LUV

Yesterday, I had the privilege of flying 3 amazing routes for SWVA in one day, which is rare because I’m usually pretty busy on weekdays. I fly career, so I did all 3 routes in one session. Flight information is located below.

Flight Information:

Server: Expert
Route: KPDX-KSJC, KSJC-KLAS, KLAS-KSBA
Aircraft: Southwest Airlines 737-800

Turning in Front of Mount Hood on Departure out of Portland

Flying Over Beautiful Medford, OR

Flying the Fairgrounds Visual at San Jose

Climbing over the Coast Ranges on The TECKY3 departure out of SJC

Crossing Over Kings Canyon and the Eastern Sierra, with Mono Lake in the Distance

Turning final for Runway 1L at Las Vegas

Turning over Lake Mead on departure out of LAS

Smooth cruising over Victorville, CA

On the RNAV Approach at Santa Barbara

Parked at the Gate after 3 wonderful flights!

Thanks for viewing, stay safe and share the luv!

48 Likes

Cool shots 😉

1 Like

ah, memories of the LUV bus from DEN-PHX in 2019 :)

1 Like

Great post @Mukundan_Srivatsa! Luv the LUV!

2 Likes

nice shots man!!

1 Like

Lovely shots!

1 Like

dont let @ItsBlitz see this

3 Likes

Thanks!

Sounds fun! Hopefully I can try that route one day IRL!

Thank you so much Jordan!

Thanks!

Thank you!!

This was actually my first time using 1L. I always used 26L, but the IRL flight landed on 1L, and I wanted to try out the approach, so I just went for it. Although I will say, I always consider the wrath of @ItsBlitz when choosing runways at Las Vegas.

3 Likes

01L & 01R is perfectly fine for arrivals if the winds are the other way! I believe they were using 08’s for departures yesterday which is pretty rare :)

1 Like

I actually departed off of 8L on my flight from LAS-SBA yesterday. It was a beautiful departure, with nice views of Lake Mead.

2 Likes

Marvelous job on the shots! The first one is beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

awesome shots! just joined the VA :)

2 Likes

Killer photos!!! Great VA as well!

1 Like

They hardly ever use the inner runways for arrivals, so 1L would be “more correct.” Theoretically, they could be doing simultaneous parallel approaches to 1L & 1R (or any of the parallels) but that’s almost never going to happen. Drives me nuts when pilots land on an inner runway at KLAS (also KLAX). I recognize that IFATC and staff say to use all runways, but it still drives me crazy.

@ItsBlitz are you also a fellow KLAS-based pilot?

1 Like

Thanks! It is an amazing VA!

Thank you!

Yeah, I’m no expert on KLAS, but airports such as Vegas, PHX, and LAX, or any parallel runway airport tend to use the inner rwy for takeoffs and the outer runway for landings. However at LAS, there is a large ramp on the west side of 1L, so in some way, 1L could also be considered an inner runway, but I’m not sure.

I think he is a LAS based pilot, but I’ll leave it to him to answer definitively

I’m from Medford Oregon

2 Likes

Yep! 01R is actually used is it gets busy. 01R is usually used by pilots who prefer visual over ILS. Mainly United and American. I’ve seen them happen as an alternate.

The only inner runway that shouldn’t be used for landing is 26R/08L.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ve driven through there IRL, it’s a beautiful little city.

1 Like

I did not know that, and I’ve been tracking Vegas traffic for years! I’ve read several KLAS traffic and noise abatement studies and the configuration with 01s in use (ATC refer to it as Configuration 3) mentioned specifies only 1L for arrival traffic with 1R preferred (although both available) for departures.

Visual vs. ILS should not be a factor. ILS approaches in use don’t preclude the use of visual approaches to the same runway. The only occasions I’ve seen arrivals to 1R (or even more rarely 26R) have been with sidesteps for visual approaches on final (usually at pilot’s request).

Unrelated question: Are you KLAS based? I’m a Vegas resident and would be excited to know there are other Vegas folks on IFC :D

2 Likes