No one to blame but myself!

Rant starts here: Can you believe it? I get to Grade 5, with only 26 violations. All of those came as I first started flying on live. No violations for a long time, good flying techniques, paying close attention to everything… THEN… FINALLY get to Grade 5. Been there about two weeks. Taking a nice little flight in the SoCal region, on autopilot at about 10,000 ft heading to KPSP. Playing with my puppy on my lap. Sit my iPad down for just a second to get the dog a treat… WHO KNEW that my dog doesn’t like autopilot… Turns it off! Next thing you know I hear an “OVER SPEED” Warning… I crash. 1 violation. Back to grade 3 for a few days. No ghosting, No ATC to blame, just plain old not paying attention… All my fault.

This ever happen to anybody else?

Pic of the co-pilot that apparently HATES autopilot, but can’t hold the iPad because she HAS NO THUMBS! LOL

112 Likes

press f to pay respects.

21 Likes

In all seriousness, that sucks.

4 Likes

No worries. I’ll be back up in a few days. TOTALLY my fault. I never really took the time to explain how autopilot works to her!

9 Likes

Haha, an evil lil thing that is!

1 Like

F
That sucks.

2 Likes

looks like a carson.

12 Likes

Well that sure is weird… I went on your account and it seems to have just disappeared!

Enjoy that grade 5, you worked hard for it! 😉

122 Likes

DUDE!!! That’s awesome! Many thanks!

26 Likes

That’s awesome, glad to see you’re back to grade 5 😀

13 Likes

Tyler never stops giving, that’s for sure. When I use A/P I’m never hovering near the 10,000 ft area just to be on the safe side. I always allow at least 500 feet. I typically descend down to 12,000, then reduce speed to descend under 10,000. I highly recommend a different altitude if you need to set your A/P for any extended period.

18 Likes

Sounds like the IF equivalent of the dog ate my homework haha, Happens to the best of us unfortunately :/

11 Likes

Happens to the best of us! My Furry co-pilot ( 2 year old labradoodle) is the usual cause for any warnings I get. Last night as she was trying to get my attention during a flight caused me to have an speed warning above 10k as I forgot to set AP for speed in time, then I missed my TOD by a couple of miles and finally had a taxii speed warning! As soon as finished though she decided to ignore me for the rest if the evening!!

9 Likes

Something here about dogs makes me wonder if there should be a feature to detect paws…

And yes, my features are getting out of hand.

9 Likes

Yep, that’s usually the case. My dog wants to play, so she starts doing ANY thing possible to get my attention.

3 Likes

LOL yep, but tons of thanks goes out to @Tyler_Shelton for the gracious fix! Dog doesn’t get to sit in the right seat anymore!

4 Likes

Forgot to post this but back with your grade 5 I see.

2 Likes

I never get violations, but I got ghosted once or twice. The flight of shame on the Training server was unbearable!

7 Likes

Every last of my violations have been because of speed. And all of those times i accidentally turned off the auto pilot without realizing until it was too late. Sucks i know. I’m on Grade 4 stuck on Grade 3 becuase of a speed viloation

3 Likes

Now that was awesome

2 Likes