No, It’s Not a Missed Approach

When you call in 10 miles west of a north/south runway configuration 20k feet above where you should be, it is not a missed approach when the Approach controller is routing you so as to give you time to lose the altitude.

You’re not going to intercept at FL170, so announcing a missed approach because you’re not being allowed to cut in front of those that are not at altitudes which can only be described as ludicrous doesn’t mean anything.

A missed approach is when you miss your intercept. Not when you just don’t understand how altitude works. The approach controller is perfectly aware of where the cone is, don’t worry. I don’t understand the obsssion with expecting the distance from TOD to intercept to be 10 nm when traveling at 500 knots GS, but if you feel you must do that, at the very least, add to it a little comprehension that you’re only hurting yourself. 360s at the point of intercept isnt happening, because that interferes with pilots who aren’t flying so rediculously.

You have two options: continue flying like you are and accept that you have to cover some distance to lose the altitude or, even better, learn how to descend. But stop telling Approach that you’re executing a missed approach when you’re nowhere near the cone and close to 20k feet in the air. This happens nearly every session and it’s mind-boggling.

BTW, EMA isn’t a release from vectoring. The controller follows it with vectors. Which…are going to be the same. So this thought that you get to announce EMA then fly wherever you want is not Kosher anyway. The point of the RADAR controller is that he works with all of the traffic. There’s a plan. And if you want to come in high and hot, that’s your prerogative. But you have to be willing to accept the end result of doing so, which is you being sent on a scenic route (or held) until you’re down where you need to be. The other 15 planes don’t disappear simply because you refuse to learn how to descend. I’m more than happy to take you through the descent if that’s what you need. But it isn’t going to be at others’ expense. It’s going to be at yours.

Or you could just descend before arriving. There’s always that.

50 Likes

I hereby vote for @Tim_B to be the new narrator in every Infinite Flight video tutorial.

22 Likes

Im sorry for not knowing everything in aviation, but when you do a go around on tower frequency and hands you off to approach again, what do you say to approach? That you want an approach any runway at XXXX?

When you are handed back to the Approach controller from Tower after a go-around (do not switch frequencies on your own as Tower may sometimes handle go-arounds themselves), announce missed approach to the Approach controller so that they can fit you in the approach line again. You don’t need to request an approach to a runway again since the controller will be able to see your previous request in the data tag.

See the tutorial video for reference, specifically from 0:45.

2 Likes

this has happened a lot, some pilots are in grade 3 with no experience at all and it comes very difficult to do ATC, transmitting unnecessary messages

10 miles? Isn’t that within the airspace?

It’s 17000 feet not fl170

FL170 or 17000 feet doesn’t have different meanings 😉

2 Likes

YES. FL170 QNH1013, 17000 thousand QNH is at local ATIS.

I’m sorry… what?? Do people actually do that?!
Just… how…

We can’t adjust altimeter to barometric pressure in IF. FL170 and 17000ft are the same. We have a AGL altimeter so we are safe.
In the United States and Canada, the transition altitude is 18,000 ft. In Europe, the transition altitude varies and can be as low as 3,000 ft.

The point is that pilots call missed approach when they are vectored away from the airport to loose altitude.

Many pilots do not understand how to decend and what speed to use. And It looks like some think it’s a race from A to B.

2 Likes

Because some people don’t know all the rules and that’s perfectly ok. It’s up to us as a community to reach out and help when it is necessary :)

Yep. In IF it’s set at FL180. I know this is a bit off topic. But is this guy flying in NA or EU?

Yeah, you’re right! I came off a bit too strong there. :)

1 Like

You’re correct from a standard usage POV. I was a thousand feet short to meet the standard lexicon. But I don’t think that really has any bearing on much other than a lexigraphical error. (We could say FL170, we just don’t, and have chosen to begin using them at 180. But that doesn’t mean the others aren’t flight levels all the same.)

Haha I love this post. Had a good laugh. Thank you!

Way to let em have it @Tim_B! I’ve had people DIVE in front of me when I’ve legit followed a continuous descent STAR and transition to ILS. Guy left JFK behind me, I flew the usual MERIT ROBUC3.04R transition-followed the speeds and altitudes down to the ILS, got myself established on final, I decluttered my HUD (no map) and here comes this guy diving down from what appeared to be 8-10K over NABBO when I was at WINNI (4K)

There’s an answer for this and they’re called IFR Plates/Charts. I know you use them Tim, but it’d be really good if we could get everyone to play along…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.