No fuel.

Hello IFC 👋
I’m currently doing Jeddah To Colombo On SriLankan Airlines A330-300.

Anyways I was out and when I came back I realized that my flight passed Colombo an hour ago, So I made a turn back to Colombo.

The problem Is that I only have remaining fuel for 40 Minutes, ETE : 35 Minutes!

• I’m In the Indian Ocean, so there’s no where I can divert. Colombo which Is my destination Is my Is currently my nearest airport.
2 Likes

descent will reduce fuel consumption

6 Likes

If you descent slowly, like around -600 vs, you could save some fuel.

But if you don’t make it, then…

@Amaar_Viqar taught me to deploy flaps only at the cone to stretch your fuel as long as possible.

3 Likes

I tried :( Descended from FL370/FL390 to FL350, still.

Will try. Thanks

You will be fine. As long as the eta is shorter than your fuel remaining you will be perfect. Plus, as you descend you will burn less fuel. I’ve been in plenty of tight situations and most weren’t as fortunate as this. It’ll be close, but you’ll make it. Good luck and of course,
Godspeed

3 Likes

Just Tried Descending, It’ll only give me extra 2 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I hope so.
Will keep you guys updated ;)

1 Like

So I’ve learned that flying at a lower speed saves a bit more fuel, but doing it at cruise is not a good idea. When you have the opportunity to get near and below 10k, lose KIAS to about 230.

2 Likes

Will do! Thank a lot for your help man.🙏

1 Like

Stay clam keep flying

3 Likes

Hey, the time for fuel remaining Is decreasing rapidly!
Even though I started descent VS -700.
ETE dest 22
Fuel remaining 24min. ( 2% )

1 Like

I think you have time because the rest of your flight should be at a slower speed and it will burn less fuel but make sure you deploy your flaps when you’re in the cone like @Czechoslovaki said also do the same with your gear, don’t go past 95% N1 and you should be fine

1 Like

I see you on LiveFlight, if it an extreme emergency than try diverting to Batticaloa Airport (VCCB). It’s your nearest option now I would suppose, slightly closer than what Colombo is to you now.

Though I doubt the airport can handle a A330-300 but you should be be able to land there if you precise your speed during short final.

1 Like

Depending on your altitude, I suggest descending around 125-150 miles out at -1800vs before contacting approach for emergency fuel (if ATC is active)

1 Like

There is not ATC in Sri Lanka today. IFATC is Scheduled to be around the Mediterranean and Black Sea, with focus airport being Istanbul Airport, so Unicom it is ;)

2 Likes

Oh yes, you can still mention it on unicom. I’m on holiday from the 1st to 17th across Canada by flying Air Canada and Westjet, also with no active subscription… :(

I had time for the A320 flight though

1 Like

At this point @IFflyer, a descent rate slightly higher than -600 as people has said so far, somewhere between -800 to -1200 should get you in perfectly for a right base on RWY 06 at VCCB, but it’s your decision if you want to continue to Colombo, Good Luck 👍

1 Like

Thanks! 😊
What about cutting one of the engines until I’m on final?

I’d say divert to VCCB, fuel up and then continue onwards to Colombo!

Have a safe flight!

2 Likes