No flap emergency landing during heavy wind shears

I know that for high crosswinds you need to use less flaps and more speed, but I never expected to see what appears to be no flaps and no reverse thrusters, and it’s coming in very fast. Maybe the reverse thrusters came on further down the runway after the video ends?

Perhaps a real world pilot and/or ATC here can help explain it. I would have thought some flaps and definitely reverse thrusters?

Here is the ATC recording and a video of the emergency landing.

3 Likes

Some more info:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=489d4c3f&opt=0

I always wonder how fast a plane without flaps/slats would. The faster the speed the smoother you can landings…I think?

Flaps are very important. Yes when the crosswind is higher you use a lower lesser flap setting so your speed is faster which keeps the aircraft yaw (especially in the flare) lower. With that flaps up setting not only are good brakes and spoilers (and thrust reversers) a must but you have to make sure you arrest that descent or you’re putting a strut through the belly. 3 degree glide slope at 135kts is around 700-800 ft/min whereas that same descent rate on that same glide slope at 210kts is a lot higher. You have to arrest that descent to around 300-400ft/min to avoid passenger injury/plane damage while not floating too far down the runway and end up running off the end. The actual ground speed varies depending on the current winds at the field obviously.

In the KC-135 we could manually lower the flaps in an emergency. It was tough and not any fun, you were covered in sweat just getting the flaps down to 30 degrees (50 is full flaps on that jet).

2 Likes

Flaps are very important.

1 Like

Almost forgot on my above post. Most aircraft have an aileron lockout mechanism that limits their overall movement when the flaps are up.

I guess a B738 without flaps lands with around 180 knots.
Smooth or not, the speed has no effect on it.

Hmm think about getting flare wrong, if you don’t have skill set to recover from bumpy landing the result would be catastrophic. 180knots hitting the turmac is not gonna be smooth, aircrafts are not magnet. If the rotate speed 140-160. What chances is not gonna glide and hit turmac again. Landing gear hydrolic airframe gonna take all the stress. I’m not saying is not possible but is not normal.

1 Like

@stephenswann Rode an Air Farse 135 on a hop Kadena to Dias (sic) Tx. Back in the day! Drug a sick F-4 back to rework for a fuel transfer problem. Hell of a long go in a cold tube just me and the Boomer. The rest off the crew stay buttoned up forward on the flight station eating steak and playing bridge. Typical Tanker hop so said the Boomer!
Semper Fi Steve, Mad Max Sends

The higher the speed, the more pitch you need for landing and the less margin for a tail strike.

2 Likes

To keep that jet comfortable took regular trips from the cockpit back to the cargo compartment and constant adjustments. The automatic system was horrible and the manual system would change with every throttle adjustment the pilots made. If people weren’t dressed for the flight or we had older retiree’s/young children on board every 15-30 minutes I would walk through to see how I needed to adjust the temperature. Also had to keep a close eye out for anyone trying to adjust the thermostat (they usually went too far to the hot side).

I never got to refuel the F-4’s although I did get to refuel F-117’s at night. It was my first time refueling fighter aircraft at night and it was a little intense (I was a newbie at the time though).

@Laurens @GatwickGuy http://www.b737.org.uk/flapspeedschedule.htm is where I got my info. Obviously the speed could be lower than 210kts at a lower weight (which is why they were probably holding for longer than it took to work the emergency). Where’d you get 180kts from?

@stephenswann A likely story, typical Air Farse PR re: “Pax Comfort”! However, the Stealth Tank now that’s the real rest of the story. I envy that experience!
Regards, Max

It’s the opposite actually. You have a higher pitch in the flare at lower speeds. If you were to increase your pitch at the higher speed you’d just float your flare down the runway.

1 Like

Yeh the question is lower pitch higher speed, how the aircraft gonna stay on the ground? What degree you are referring rafly?

@Maxmustang No, I’m telling you I actually cared about passenger comfort and got many complements about it being their most comfortable 135 flight. Most Booms would just put a little heat on and then go to sleep and forget about the pax after their after takeoff checklist items were complete.

IF experience.

Yeah it doesnt. Sometimes though if land to slow your plane with fall to ground. Having all flaps extend would also have some pitch effect i think but not alot

That looked intense! Normally the approaches look slow and controlled, even though slow is relative - the plane is still moving at around 260 km/h, give or take some. That looked like bungee jumping with no rope attached…

Was the plane on lease from Gol because the engine and the wing tip had Gol logos on them