Night Landing Help

I know multiple topics have been made about this, but I need help landing at night at a airport with a hard approach. I am currently flying (TuiJet 089) to LPMA. The only reason I make another topic is because there may be new tips for 2019. This is my first topic (Kinda), so feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Just trust the atc directions. Since this requires a special approach, be conscious of your surroundings.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, ill need it.

Like @Claudio said, focus on the instruments, after your lined up within 10NM away from the runway, you should have no problem landing.

1 Like

My instructor always tells me “look at where you want to land and you’ll fly there.”

To add to @Claudio , some of the lights that appear are PAPI lights. All white means you’re too high, all red means too low and half of each means perfect.

If you’re using the HUD, point the fpv right where you want to go.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, this really helps!

2 Likes

I’m gonna tell you right now for LPMA this will not work. The airport has special approach procedures due to the terrain around the airport. Have a look at these charts to get an idea of how to properly land here. Pages 15-19.

1 Like

Well I was doing good, until I disengaged the autopilot on accident… RIP 737-800 ;(

1 Like

Thanks everyone again for the help, even though it didn’t get to be used.

1 Like

this does NOT always work terrain can also be an issue

I don’t land by night (unless I know the terrain is clear) because I’m waiting for lit towns, a maps like Google Maps with colors and terrain, and ALS (Approach Lightning System) + lit taxiways, landing lights that light runway…
For the instance night flight don’t deserve to be lived.

3 Likes

I used to do a lot of night flights until I was landing in Barcelona and almost flew straight into a mountain, I’ve also taxied into the SF bay because I couldn’t see where I was going

My personal advice would be not to rely on the PAPI lights too much in Infinite Flight. They aren’t very accurate and may send you to the ground or have you too high. Use the glide slope instead, much more reliable.

2 Likes

The difference between a night landing and a landing during daylight is your visual reference point on the runway. During your approach you follow - if available - the ILS or GPS or during a visual approach the PAPI. Thats for both, day and night .All of them will guide you to the Touchdown Zone . Short before TD, in around 30 ft above ground , you begin with the landing flare. And here is the difference: During day, the visual ref. point remains the Touch down zone. :

But at night, the visual ref. point is at the end of the runway where you see the red lights :

This is because your eyes cant fix a point in front of your aircraft during night , to keep your wings level you need a point more far away which doesnt come close that quickly.

Sorry if its not understandable but i hope it kinda helps .

5 Likes

Oh yeah! You pretty much nailed that to the wall! That is exactly how that’s done!

I totally agree… When the dark night time comes during cruise; i leave it until the descent and approach; i always switch to daytime in order to land and taxi properly

1 Like

Please stop it! It’s too much orgasmic.

1 Like

It is what ??

Your ALS picture made me dream, hope…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.