Night flying

Taking into consideration the issues with flying at night on IF, I was wondering if the rest of the community finds having “Night” beneficial, at this point in its development.

I personally feel it is not. Hard to see, taxi and fly unless you are landing at a major airport like KLAX whose RWYs you can see clearly but apart from that you cant really see anything else.

28 Likes

I got to agree with you on this one! I have actually never used night, however if taxiway lights come in, I certainly will.

12 Likes

I gave night the occasional try but at this put I find it unfortunately useless no offense to the hard work done by the devs.But as this time I really find it unbearable to fly maybe it’s just me

10 Likes

Funny!
I just added this response:

I’d love to have all of these lights. Flying in the dark would be fun!

4 Likes

I fly at night sometimes. Yes, I may have to strain the living hell out of my eyes to find the taxilines, but it’s okay. Once you get on the runway, you takeoff, and you’re up in the sky. All that’s left to do is land and taxi to parking, no biggie.

However, working landing / taxi lights, taxiway lights, PAPI lights and tail lights would be very useful.

6 Likes

haha one thing about night that used to be nice was following :
Later back then when there was no throttle cut I used to fly at night, turn the light of my tablet as dark as possible and just let it go. If there was no night mod I would have slept worse since my room would have been brighter ^^

1 Like

I occasionally do it in small props and go into small airfields that don’t have any lights just to test myself

1 Like

At this point in time, I never fly in night mode. The lack of realism is unbearable to me. Plus it is so difficult to navigate because everything is pitch black. Greatly looking forward to when they improve this aspect so I can do night flights.

11 Likes

If in the A320 or one of the other with cockpit lights I occasionally fly at night, but generally change to sunset/rise for the taxi and landing phase of flight. I generally don’t fly in night view as it is TOO dark and so unrealistic. Would love to have some city light ‘loom’ to add to realism. ( natural taxi way lights be lovely too

10 Likes

I love flying night flights in Denver but I hate how I can’t see the taxiways unless I’m one inch from the screen with my Cyrano De Bergerac nose. So I usually turn to dawn mode pretending “I’ve been flying overnight and dawn hit before I arrived” type deal.
Once taxiways are illuminated and named I will be flying night mode probably more then day mode. Until then, I stick with morning and evening for my later flights.

10 Likes

I agree with you. I rarely do night flying but would do more if the lighting on taxiway were better and the lights on the planes lit up more area in order to see.

4 Likes

I use Sunset or Sunrise on the Taxi but use Night to fly Takeoff and land to realate to the time in real life

4 Likes

Can’t wait for rendered airport lights.

3 Likes

I actually find the 787 really nice to fly at night. I can see taxi lines and taxiways a lot easier with all those cockpit lights. I think it’s the same with the a320 and Dash too. Flying at night with no HUD is actually really fun and challenging.

4 Likes

I hate night mode and I never fly on night . I always end up taxiing in grass when I put on night mode . I always have to squint at my screeen or put my brightness up . It is really annoying

4 Likes

Agree with all comments about taxing, but sometimes I do change it to night more prior to approach, I really enjoy doing approach at night.

3 Likes

Have to agree with you :/

1 Like

I have to agree with you on this one. It’s very hard to see in night time mode. Hope we can have this fixed along with the rework of other current aircrafts in the sim such as the A330 family.

1 Like

It’s a nice bit of variety, in my opinion. I like to take off in sunset mode, switch to night for cruise and then either land at night or switch to sunrise.

1 Like

I wish we had city lights or brighter tower lights.

7 Likes