Night flying

Does anyone have any pointers for night flying. I’m practically terrified with flying at night even in a simulator. Lol. I know its bad. Thanks.

1 Like

What do you mean? Take-off and landing help? Or the cruise? Or just “all of the above”?

3 Likes

Everything really. I can’t see where I’m going. Lol. It just might be one of those thing that I just have to do.

1 Like
  1. I make sure I know how I’m going to taxi to the runway before I even go.

2. Make sure your lined up on the taxiway which I find easier through cockpit view

3. Runway has lights. It an easy takeoff not to hard.

4. Climb as normal and nothing really that different in air.

5. Use APPR is you dont like the approach. Or just follow the localized in

6. Its the same as day flying expect taxing really

Super fun flying at night escpially when taxiway lights come

4 Likes

ARRP? Autoland correct?

2 Likes

Pick a night where it’s bright, aka full moons etc. This is rather nice and visibility is good so there are no worries.

3 Likes

Yea. I use sometimes when I dont like how it’s looking on Approach. Just helps me out but sometimes will freak out on you

2 Likes

What if the plane doesn’t have autoland? Lol

1 Like

It might just take some practice to learn how to master night flying.
If you can’t see during the pushback and taxi, feel free to set the time to “Noon”. (My screen protector is semi-reflective, so I have to do this.)

Do you know how to use the ILS indicators?

2 Likes

Practice on solo mode first or on the training server and just practice practice practice!

I had a hard time also at first but got used to it.

Also make sure device brightness is up

3 Likes

How will I know if there is a full moon in IF?

1 Like

Yes I know how to execute an ILS approach.

1 Like

Solo or causal? I’d like to get the points.

1 Like

By the way, here is a helpful video about ground and runway lighting:

Many of the runway lights are the same in IF (which includes the PAPI lights mentioned in the video).

When flying at night, just follow your ILS/GPS directions (watch the localizer and glide slope), and if everything is configured correctly, you should be right on track for landing. One helpful feature you could use on the bottom bar is “AGL” (altitude Above Ground Level). This will tell you how far you are from the surface and can help you in your flare.
And if you aren’t completely comfortable yet with using ILS and manually controlling your speed, you can always use Autopilot to manage your speed (SPD) for you until you feel that you can manage everything at the same time.

3 Likes

When flying at night, I like to have the brightness all the way up until I’m at my designated altitude for cruise. After that, I would lower the brightness. It helps me see when I do night flights.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you. I’ll have to try some night flying now.

1 Like

Usually when I do night flights, I just ignore the scenery and focus on the map and my instruments.
I don’t think it’s really necessary to look outside during a night flight during the climb, cruise, and first half of the approach (unless you’re flying fully visual, which I definitely don’t recommend during dark hours).

[Edit: And don’t forget, if you want to get lined up well for take-off, then you can always look at the localizer.]

1 Like

Adjust the month and find a good time where its bright. I think around November has some good night skies in the US

1 Like

you can change it to daytime if you don’t like night flying and if you mean doing overnight flights because of the fear of violations fly overnight flights on casual don’t worry just keep practicing and you will master it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.