Night Flying

Following my previous post about airport lighting and how dark it is, I am slightly frustrated at myself after a failed landing at Ibiza airport.

Pitch black and visibility of airport was awful, wasn’t until a mile that I could see the airport, to which I found I was about 700ft over the runway, after ‘attempting’ a go around I crashed into terrain.

With the staff looking at the lighting can I have tips for night flying please. I am trying to use the glide scope and the localiser but am struggling with it

Please help (I don’t want to have to keep flying with the day settings)

Thanks

2 Likes

You can always play around with the time and find a time and date where there is a bright-shining moon! While it’s not the perfect solution, it helps me for sure.

3 Likes

Turn up your brightness :)

3 Likes

On approach, stick to the ILS/GPS. You can recognize the glideslope and the localizer in your HUD.
With this you avoid to be too high/low, left/right.
From about 250 feet you should be able to fly visual

2 Likes

For really bad visibility, I suggest using APPR mode, or atleast the ILS. Here’s a tutorial for how to use the APPR:

https://community.infinite-flight.com/t/using-autoland-appr/83045/2

1 Like

I think this topic will help you a lot:

3 Likes

Unless there was a little hill just before the runway (which you can’t see well, even during daytime), I don’t see why you couln’t land in darkness. Did you use your ILS system, as described in the post above? What’s your struggle with that?
Was the runway not lit?

1 Like

If you don’t feel like you can land in the conditions at an airport, especially in the case of low visibility, you should land somewhere else with better weather and lights.

A lot of people don’t realize that a huge part of aviation is knowing when not to take a risk that’s outside your comfort.

2 Likes

Here you got the charts.
https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://vau.aero/navdb/chart/LEIB.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiq6pb5oZ3dAhUnxoUKHfO6AFwQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0Tph2q-T0mXfdu7QyYjTC3

A simple search with Google, your best friend these days, shows us the charts of LEIB.

With a brief scan you can have a look at the main obstacles.
It’s all written there!

In the chart, we see at approximately page 30 the elevation obstacles. I assume you went around turning right in the hills at the side. Am I right?

Now, I see your new here, and as you said you can’t use glideslope well, that’s not a problem at all!

Here on the forum you find useful tutorials,
And if you don’t find what you are looking for, remember, Google is your friend 😉

Edit for lazy people:

Orange circles show hills,
Green rectangle noise abatement area (when noise abatement procedures are active, mostly in nighttime its forbidden to overfly those areas)

2 Likes

Seems like even a cursory glance at charts could have helped to avoid some controlled flight into terrain. Just goes to show why good flight planning is important.

1 Like

the max brightness on apple at night is Pretty dark if u didnt know

1 Like

It takes a little practice to get the ILS approach and landing down but it’s very easy with time. Practice keeping on the glideslope and localizer during bright sunny landings. After your skills are improved it makes no difference if it’s day or night, you’ll land the plane just fine. After that your only night issue may be taxiing to parking 😉

I have an iPhone and iPad, but the max brightness is not dark…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.