News: Ground Staff Worker Killed

Sadly yesterday a ground staff worker was killed at Karlsruhe, Germany after being crushed between a Bombardier Dash-8 and a tanker.

An Air Berlin Dash-8 parked, was being serviced with fresh water. A tanker approached the aircraft driving backwards. A ground employee signalled directions to the driver however not much is known as to how the employee became trapped between the fuselage and the tanker.

The Dash-8 aircraft was damaged and the ground worker killed in the incident at Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden Airport, Germany.

8 Likes

Ouch. That’s horrible.

10 Likes

OMG I would have hated to be the one driving the tanker and to have killed him. I feel bad for both of them.

5 Likes

That’s awful.

2 Likes

Here is the report on Aviation Herald

http://avherald.com/h?article=498a0688&opt=0

1 Like

Sorry, I just ran my truck into you Sir! I have been watching How To Get Away With Murder!

And everyone talks about german efficiency.
Disappointed and speechless that something like this can happen.

9 Likes

I agree with @BavariaAVIATION. This truck driver backed up and paid no attention to the guy that was presently standing there.

5 Likes

I’m sure it happened in a split second - the guy must be distraught

2 Likes

Yeah. But he should have at least looked back there.

Large vehicles like the tanker involved have many blind spots and Its obvious he didn’t mean to hit him! Just a very sad and unfortunate incident.

4 Likes

So quick to judge…

Were you there? I’m not blaming anyone, but if that truck driver keeps driving backwards then my first instinct as a ramper would be “get the hell outta there and let him crash in the Dash.”

8 Likes

what does that have to do with it?

I’m think he means that there efficiency doesn’t necessarily mean safety as clearly there main goal is efficiency therefore they are not being very safe

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.