I’ll start off by saying that I think this is a truly remarkable sim. I know that it’s not considered a game and has some very devout enthusiasts that would consider it blasphemy to call it such, but I will say it’s also extremely fun. I appreciate all the incredible effort that has clearly gone into making it as realistic and authentic as possible. I have been toiling at it only for a couple of weeks, and have managed to make some progress in understanding the basics, but have encountered a few things I was hoping more experienced pilots might be willing to comment on:
(1) Is there a way to lock the nose gear on takeoff? Using the tablet’s gyroscope seems to be way too touchy (especially on faster/smaller jets) and the rudder is similarly likely to send you off course in a heartbeat. I have figured out that if you’re aligned on the center line and set the heading in A/P, it will obviously keep your wheels straight, but I was wondering if there’s a way to do it without resorting to using autopilot?
(2) Does anyone else have a problem making turns at the right time? I lay out my FPL but sometimes find it difficult to manage the headings. I either turn too early and end up parallel to my desired course, but not on it, or the plane takes too long to complete the turn to the desired heading and I end up wildly off track. I know that the lines turn from pink to white when it seems like it’s time to make the turn – and I’m guessing that’s allowing for the speed and equipment you’re flying – but even if I complete the heading adjustment at that moment, it never seems to execute it quite right. Any suggestions?
(3) When do you need to adjust trim? Is it to help slow you down more rapidly, drop more quickly, compensate for cross winds, or some other scenario? I have not seen it touched on in any of the many tutorials I’ve watched, but was curious how it’s used.
(4) I started out playing in Solo for a few days, but then joined the Live+ community. However, I have only ONCE successfully spawned into a truly live session on the Free Flight Server and gotten “credit” for the flight. It was the first and only time I saw the little headset turn white and enable me to use the Unicom instructions. I know there are restrictions on the servers and airports to keep novices from bungling the real ATC servers, but I can’t seem to gain any XP or flight time because none of my flights are actually getting me any credit (even if I stick a landing or perform a beautiful takeoff). Is there something I’m missing on how to get Live+ to work every time? It’s much more fun to do the requests for taxi, announce approaches, etc. than flying around with no purpose.
(5) There are multiple places where the official IF page points you to a help site, but all the links go to a page that says “No help desk at help.infinite-flight.com. The help desk configured at this address is no longer available.” (In fact, it says that the ZenDesk account is expired). Is there a new help page somewhere with an official user manual to explain all the bells and whistles? I appreciate the videos that other users have made (and the two that I could find from Official Test Pilot Dave™ on YouTube), but some of us are old-fashioned and would actually READ A MANUAL if I could find one. Videos are great, but being able to read and understand something in print (and refer back to it later) is much more efficient on paper.
I have tons more questions, but know this is already probably longer than most people will bother reading, so I’ll leave it here for now. Thanks in advance for any input.