New to aviation, question on 787 and handling.

Hello guys. I have very recently fallen in love with aviation, particularly with airliners and have been studying it and reading books about it 24/7. I have FSX, and X-Plane on the PC and infinite flight on my iPhone. Day by day, I am learning more and more.

With Infinite Flight, I do not understand this; is there a difference on how an Airbus A380, for example, handles compared to a 787? To me it all feels like the same. If yes, what is the difference? Please excuse me if it is straight forward to you :)

Also, I want to purchase a 787. I don’t get the differences between 787-8, -9, -10. Is it just the size as I have seen on the internet? Which one do you like and why?

5 Likes

The 787-8, -9 and -10 are all different lengths.

2 Likes

which one is the “better” one? :p

2 Likes

They are all “great”, it is personal preference.

2 Likes

I like the 787-9 best because it has an American Airlines livery.

5 Likes

I think that the 787-8 is perfect.

2 Likes

When it comes down to the specific model of a certain aircraft, choosing which one has the most liveries you prefer is a good way of deciding.

1 Like

The 787 controls for me are a little lighter than the A380

1 Like

Hi! First off, welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask me or any other forum goer if you have any more questions regarding the forum, or Infinite Flight in general. Or you could simply search your question with basic keywords in the top right search bar, and something will most likely come up. :)

Regarding your questions, pretty much all the planes operate in a similar way, but some respond and correct to movements faster, while others just feel “heavier.” It is probably not that noticeable at first, but after you play around for a bit you will definitely notice it. The 787 is more responsive, and feels lighter. Also, it is perfectly fine to be straight forward, I’d rather someone get to the point than drag on for a long time.

Most variants are labeled relative to size. So the B787-8 is shorter than the B787-9, and the same goes for the -10. This is true with most other planes, Boeing and Airbus alike. For another example, take the A320 series. The A318 is the shortest, and the A321 is the longest. For this type of thing you can also easily search up the plane type (Ex: 787, A320, etc) and go to Wikipedia, then scroll down to variants. That section will almost always explain the differences between them.

I personally prefer the B787-9 simply because it is generally the most popular among real world Airlines, due to its good mix of range to passenger count. It also is the most proportional of the 3 variants in terms of wing and tail size relative to the rest of the body, at least on my opinion.

1 Like

What kind of PC do you have?

The new the plane the more realistic the flight physics. Since the 787 is the newest it has the most realistic flight physics. For the 787 series I really like flying the 787-8, faster than the longer variants due to its smaller size and it’s a pretty easy aircraft to fly

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Some of your questions have been answered above.

If you compare say the B747, A320 , B777 abd B787 you will feel the differences in how they fly with the smaller aircraft being ‘lighter’ whilst larger heavier. The FDS DEVs strive to make the feel as realistic as they can, and certainly V speeds, flap settings etc are based on real life settings and been tested by IRL pilots for authenticity.

Lastly it’s worth checking out the @flightcast podcasts where a number of real life pilots have been interviewed.

I have DM’ed you :)

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely have a look at the podcast.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.