New Runway @ Heathrow

Although I understand it must get noisy at times, but if you live near an airport surely you expect that? Also with so much unemployment about wouldn’t this generate some much needed jobs?

Wish they would just got with it now

4 Likes

I agree, and it’s not just LHR. Every airport will eventually face the inevitable => expansion. Especially as air traffic is increasing year by year. Postponing expansion is really just putting your head in the sand. We face the same problem here in ZRH and the funny thing is, we wouldn’t even have to move people.

4 Likes

All for the sake of expanding tourism

I think another runway is a good idea :) And it will give some ppl that much needed job

Nothing wrong with tourism. Also there are plenty of non-tourist passengers departing and arriving at Lhr, and also transit passengers passing through.

It is absolutely the case that Lhr operates at capacity pretty much all the time. It is the busiest two runway airport in the world by far, and busier than many 3+ runway airports. It is about time the issue was addressed.

I hope they gonna change their mind. I live 4 miles from Heatrow and trust me the noise its already unbearable. I can’t imagine with one more runway!

1 Like

Yes noise is one of the biggest problem :/

Yeah mate, expecially about A380 and B777 during takeoff! Fortunately no flights after 11.30pm… Time to sleep

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

OK, I didn’t say there was a problem, I simply made a statement of fact.

True, A380 supposed to be quiter, but it past over my head at 2500ft and trust me it still loud! Anyway yes, 747 still the worst!

3 Likes

2500 feet?? wow, you must be the king of spotting.

4 Likes

My point was it is not all for the sake of expanding tourism ;)

2 Likes

Well the A350s and 787s are certainly quiet, the 737 Max and A320 neo are vast improvements too.

I imagine the noise levels around LHR will drop dramatically as the older 777s / 767s / 747s and A320s get replaced by British Airways, let alone other carriers.

I think a three runway Heathrow will be fairly quiet compared to now.

3 Likes

There will be a new terminal between 09L/27R and the new runway.

The new runway is in fact about the same distance from 09L/27R as 09L/27R is from 09R/27L.

Also have you been to other airports before and sampled their taxi times? FRA, JFK, AMS all come to mind as ones which can often involve long taxis.

1 Like

Indeed. Just checking the charts for LHR (27L but the will all be the same) the height expected at check distances are:

D7.5 - 2500ft
D6 - 2040ft
D5 - 1730ft
D4 - 1410ft
D3 - 1090ft
D2 - 770ft

Yes my fault! Just double checked, the right distance is 7,7 miles. They only pass over my head when runways 9L and 9R are in use.

When the 22’s are in use at JFK, I get so many heavies over my home. Unfortunately they are up at 5,000 or so.

1 Like