New M1 chipset Ipad

So Apple just announced a new iPad with the M1 chipset instead of the regular A bionic chipsets. Will infinite flight be able to run on the new Ipad or it’s too early to know?

It seems highly likely it would be supported.

2 Likes

It’ll be running on iOS 14, and the new Pro is about the same size as last year’s Pro, so it should be good.

1 Like

good to know because infinite flight about to feel super nice with the new display and chipset

1 Like

I have the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9” with the bionic chip, and from what I saw at the Apple event today, not much has changed in the 2021 iPad Pro lineup other than the m1 chip…I wouldn’t expect any significant performance obstacles for it.

The 2020 iPad Pros are amazing for infinite flight (I use my old iPad Pro 2017 for IF mostly tho as I use the 2020 iPad Pro for school), but from my experience with it, it’s an absolutely beast. Again, I wouldn’t expect any performance obstacles 😀

2 Likes

The XDR (mini-led) display in the 12.9” Pro should be a noticeable difference. I’m preordering a 12.9 on April 30th 🙌

1 Like

ahhh yess let us know how different it will be

1 Like

They said that the M1’s changes are already embedded into the code of current iPads, and that due to it’s nature of being a sibling of the normal chips there would be no integration issues.

1 Like

It will run iOS, and the M1 is already pretty much an A14X under a different name. It’s the same architecture and same core design as the A14, just more cores and little stuff like a thunderbolt controller, essentially the same thing that has been done with the 10X, A12Z, etc. Of course the Infinite flight team may have to optimize a bit, and update for it, but it’s the same kind of thing as when any other Apple chipset has come out for iPhones or iPads. The M vs A is all marketing.

7 Likes

Ok thank you

1 Like

Of course there’s definitely going to be major performance changes…I meant that i don’t think there’s going to be major changes in the actual body of the device and the user interface of Infinite Flight on the device 😄

2 Likes

It should run fine without problems since the OS isn’t changing (iPadOS). The M1 is basically a A14 optimized for a Mac with increased cores. Now it’s back on the iPad. There may be some optimization needed to enable those cores to work right (then again I’m not a software developer so I don’t know what I’m talking about) but theoretically this very well could be the best device at running IF since the chip does have more cores than the previous A12X/Z chip of the previous Gen iPad

4 Likes

The A12Z has the same number of cores, 8 core CPU (4 vortex and 4 Tempest cores) and an 8 core GPU. M1 is the same except split the CPU into 4 firestorm, and 4 ice storm, the GPU cores are also new. The cores are more powerful is the main thing. It has more neural cores but those probably aren’t as relevant to IF. GHz isn’t everything, but the A12Z Vortex cores maxed out at 2.5, M1 firestorm maxes out at 3.2. I’m not sure how IF works out, but most games are more dependent on single core performance that how many there are, so that’s probably the more relevant statistic. As for how thermally constrained in an iPad it is under a sustained load like a longer flight we shall see, but this will definitely be a noticeable performance jump I suspect.

3 Likes

Yea, I remember people being annoyed by the A12Z because it was just the X but with a core enabled (that the X already had but Apple kept it disabled). The M1 is just that plus more. As for thermals, I wouldn’t be worried considering when they optimized it for Macs, efficiency and heating were the main concerns, and videos where they test the computer for heavy work loads (stuff like running 4K video streams in Final Cut) seems to hold up the heating pretty well. Basically all the test videos I’ve seen on YouTube seem to come to the conclusion that the M1 is a beast at efficiency management. I’ve currently got the A12X 12.9 iPad and IF certainly makes it warm, especially in busy areas. I’d suspect the M1 iPad to be the same or better, but not worse. But time will tell.

In terms of performance, Laura tweeted out a few months ago a picture of IF running on an M1 MacBook and said it ran absolutely fine. So I’d expect no major issues for the iPad, though we’ll see if someone here on the IFC gets one and can fill us in!

1 Like

The M1 is just a chip it’s not a graphics card so don’t expect anything like RTX personally I don’t think Apple m1 isn’t nesscary unless your doing something design related.

Well, that’s kinda why it could have issues. The Macs, even the MacBook Air with no fan has a lot more mass to absorb and re radiate that heat. Even the M1 in the Air does drop down a bit after longer loads compared to when it is actively cooled in a Macbook pro or Mac Mini. So it will probably not be fully stretching it’s legs, but will definitely be faster.

That is true, my mind skipped over the fans. Well, we’ll see how it does but I’m sure it’ll run IF at least a bit better than anything does currently. Excited to see performance.

2 Likes

That thing is going to be a beast!

1 Like

Preordered it already

How did you do that? They weren’t taking orders until the 30th of April. 🤔

2 Likes