New GPS / ILS localiser is rubbish!

Yeah. Nice work @Logan_Whisman. Obviously you’ll be selecting ‘NO’ in regards to my proposal…

Look to the right of your compass, you’ll see the approach indicator, as per my instructions above, click and hold then select your approach. It is available for all aircraft.

I sympathise with your issue, there needs to be a way to turn it off, at least for GPS approaches. As you mentioned, it takes away a lot of the skill in low visibility etc, someone above said just don’t use it, but its there right in front of you, its hard to ignore the fact that you are being told you are too low, or too far to the left. I suggest for now, select the wrong approach when you want to “turn it off”.

2 Likes

@zhris ahh I see what you mean about locking it. I can solve my problem of it jumping between different approaches.

But I still don’t get why it exists on all non ILS runways…

1 Like

As Swang pointed out, they needed to fake ILS for GPS approaches so that autoland could work. I guess they forgot ( intentionally or not ) to remove the visual ILS indicators for GPS approaches. I have been locking my departure airport upon takeoff, then only locking my arrival airport if I want the ILS indications.

2 Likes

True, but in real life you can’t just autoland at every airport! The feature shouldn’t be made so I can autoland on whatever runway I want!

1 Like

This is from Autoland’s documentation page

3 Likes

@Swang007 I understand that part. But why? They are FAKE. They don’t exist in real life, for that exact reason that you will just hit terrain! We might as well just make fake maps with fake airports and fake runways!

We’re heading further down the airborne Mario Kart avenue. Next update, dropping bananas on the runway…

2 Likes

Inevitably you can just ignore the autoland appr button, in a real cockpit there also isn’t a pause button. Personally I like the autoland feature, its helped me to improve my manual landing. I would like a way to see who has appr turned on though, name and “shame” them :-D.

1 Like

Everyone flying around in 737 BBJ livery as far as I’m concerned is using it! You won’t see me in one of those!

The autoland could be good - if it was installed in all commercial aircraft, and only able to be activated on an ILS approach. At the moment it just defeats the purpose of flying a simulator.

2 Likes

Yes I do have a BBJ, and yes I do fly it, but if rather stick to manual landings in it. :)

You could just not tune to the correct GPS…

I haven’t tried out the new update yet but this sounds annoying to be able to lock onto a localizer that isn’t there in real life I already thought it was dumb their is an ILS approach for 27 at KSAN which there is not.

2 Likes

seriously, no ILS on 27?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Their isn’t in real life from what I found its due to the fact they built the parking garage at the end of the runway to heigh. Their also is no ILS approach in KASE for 15 but it shows one in IF

2 Likes

@Swang007 yep, I’ve brought it up a few times. The inclined terrain and subsequent largely displaced threshold doesn’t allow an ILS system. Check the runway information on http://www.airnav.com/airport/san (or any similar sites). 27 only has LOC/DME but IF it has a full ILS?

2 Likes

IF’s navigation code doesn’t show any ILS information for runway 27, not sure how to fix that but I’ll look into it.

It just takes time. Your not gonna get right the first time but keep trying. You will figure it out. You just need pratice and experience

Thanks @Misrael102 I’ve been playing IF for over 2 years and have plenty of hours and XP… I don’t think you’re understanding my point whatsoever. I can land on the threshold every time without the need for autoland or a fake glideslope

1 Like