Hello, Infinite Flight Aviators!
For a long time, our staff team has planned events for our community. Our FNF (Friday Night Flight) has been a staple in the community for years. Now, we have bid our FNF a fond farewell. While we won’t say goodbye to official events completely, we do feel it’s time for a change.
All it takes is a quick look through the #live:events category to realize how diverse and abundant group flying in our community is. From small, grass-roots events to huge VA/VO events, there’s no lack of action. For this reason, our team will be on the lookout for new and exciting events to promote on our social media channels. Not only that, but it’s our goal to find quality events to include in our live streams on YouTube. Instead of only sticking to events created in-house, we will tap into the amazing creativity already alive here in our community.
With FNF in the rearview mirror, Friday events are no longer discouraged! Please feel free to leverage the ATC schedule pinned to the #atc category to create your event.
While it’s impossible to feature all events, or even promise to cover all virtual airlines and organizations, there are some tips you can follow when creating events.
- Follow the #live:events category rules closely!
- Follow the ATC schedule, which is usually pinned globally and to the top of the #atc category
- Run your event on the expert server (or all servers)
- Do not use gate assignments or any other means of excluding participants
- Do not use any kind of signup method (event should be open to all)
- Use a large, 3D airport as your departure field to accommodate large numbers of participants
- Be reliable! Follow through with your event so we know we can count on you for more
We’re excited to take a more community-focused approach to our official events and leverage the power and creativity of this amazing group! Here are a few more things to note as we pilot this new events program:
- There is no official way (for now) to have your event featured. Our team will either choose an event or create one ourselves depending on the need and what’s available
- Please do not contact staff or moderators asking to have your event featured or to invite them to your event. For the time being, we will hand-pick events to be featured
- Use past official events as a starting point if you need inspiration. Events that accommodate a large number of airlines, routes, and aircraft will often get better turnouts
- This new method will allow us to feature events in different regions and timezones where we were previously limited due to staff locations
- We will iterate on this new system and we will be open to ideas on how to improve
Thanks, and we’ll see you in the skies!