New camera for spotting : DSLR or Mirrorless

Hello IFC!
I have been planning to buy a new camera for spotting.
I have two options that I am available to get from the place that sells them.
The reason I am making this topic is, because I can’t choose between these two options. That is why I am trying to get help from great people here.
First option:
CANON EOS 250D 18-55 IS BK with the price of 555 euros.
Specs of the camera:

24.1 MP CMOS sensor
Optical viewfinder
4K video recording
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
3.0 "swivel touch screen
Connectivity: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Lens mount: EF and EF-S type lenses

Second option:
CANON EOS M50 15-45MM with the price of 579.90 euros
Specs:
Dual Pixel CMOS focus
24.1 MP APS-C sized CMOS sensor
DIGIC 8 image processor
With continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second
4K video
Large electronic viewfinder
Wi-Fi / NFC
Bluetooth

(prices on both cameras are changing all the time)

So, those were the cameras. I would have another question about what lens should I get it with?
Hope you all can help me! Thanks!

3 Likes

If you don’t have a Low Budget, get the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L Lens. Trust me, it’s worth it.

2 Likes

I am not a Canon fan (team Nikon yay) but I took a look at these.

A friend of mine has a 250D, very similar to my D3400. One thing I can tell you is how the 250 feels cheap compared to my camera. Other than that, differences are small.

I’m not familiar with mirror less but I’ve heard the battery goes down fast, you may need two batteries or more (honestly everyone needs two or more). However the viewfinder gives you a 1:1 preview of what you are shooting and videos are better.

I’m no expert so here’s what I suggest; rename the topic to : New camera for spotting : DSLR or Mirrorless so people give their thoughts on both.

For a lens, find one that goes above 100mm. I have a 18-105 and I struggle with private jets when they get far.

Example of what you can get with the 250D and a 18-400mm (it’s a screenshot, that’s why quality is low)

3 Likes

Definitely look at a nice long, fast, telephoto lens. The 70-300 mm is a great one to start with. If you feel the need for extra zoom, maybe even consider a 100-400mm.
I’m a wildlife/bird photographer myself and the 100-400mm is my bread and butter. That being said, it was an upgrade process from the 70-300 to hone my chops and then getting the 100-400 which I currently use.

1 Like

Thank you all for suggestions! I will look at what I will choose after I get more answers.

1 Like

I use a Nikon Coolpix P900 and Canon EPS 600D.

Here is an example of one of my pictures (didn’t use full zoom as it wouldn’t look nice) I have taken with one of my cameras.

And this video was filmed with my cameras, I definitely do not recommend to film without a tripod.

3 Likes

I would go this, except get a telephoto with it like a 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS II USM or a 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM or something. The SL3/250D has good IQ and it’s not built great but it is light. The M50 isn’t a bad camera per se but from what I’ve heard the Canon Mirrorless lineup isn’t the best until you get to the top-end EOS-R. I’m not sure about the lenses on the M50 but the EF-M mount is weird and it means if you want to use those lenses on a DSLR in the future, you can’t without adapting.

2 Likes

Quick idea…
If you want a fairly cheap camera that will be able to take fairly high quality photos of aircraft and has a powerful enough zoom to pick up details on aircraft up to 30000 feet, then you might want to get the Panasonic FZ-82. It costs less than £300, and also works to photograph other things very well as well.

3 Likes

I use a canon EOS4000D with a 75-300mm lens. Here are some pics

6 Likes

Hey, im a Filmmaker and a Photographer. So if you wanna stick to one of them, I’d definitely say go for the M50. You can shoot more pics in a second and also you can use EF Lenses as well with an ef-m Adapter. I personally also use a M6 as a backup camera. If you have any further questions just pm me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.