New A320 Autothrust Issue

I’m having a really weird issue with the A320 after the update (loving the live cockpit by the way). Every once in a while, the autothrust will cut the throttle to 0%, then ramp up to 100% to make up for the lost speed, before returning the normal. This happens at seemingly random times during cruise without me altering the autopilot or touching the device whatsoever. I am at 50% load and there is no turbulence, the winds are minimal (about 20kts), and I have no flaps or trim set. Anyone else having this issue?

Device: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB iOS 12.4

5 Likes

I had it happen once, but not multiple times

2 Likes

I think it is due to weather updates.

3 Likes

All the time on all 320,321’s with the new live cockpit on Android. I’m still trying to figure out what I did wrong (haven’t tried other planes yet). 2 violations and a downgrade from 4 to 3 and zero landings so far lol! :)

2 Likes

Ouch…it didn’t cause substantial damage to me though as it recovered really quickly.

@OiseauPlume sounds plausible, but it’s only happened after the update, so has the weather server been changed or something?

1 Like

Change to support topic so it brings attention of mods, they are often aware of this kind of issues.

1 Like

Have the same issue. Disconect the autopilots altitude control. then level off

1 Like

Same thing on iOS

1 Like

Welp this appears to be a common issue then, just gotta wait for the developer response…

They definitely tweaked the A320 autothrust to make it not lose so much speed like it used to-for example on approach-I usually hold 170kt til 5nm final and slow, when resetting the speed from 170 down to ~130-150kt (weight dependent) for Vapp (or any other large decrease in speed for that matter-from 300kt to 250, 250 to 210 etc) I used to use what I would call the “punch in” technique where I’d turn off A/T and then “punch” it back in just before the speed I wanted. This has been corrected now-where previously you’d lose 10kt or more from the speed you selected as the A/T would catch up, now it catches you early and jams the throttle up. In practice so far I’ve only lost ~3kt more than the speed I have selected which is much better. I haven’t seen anything crazy at cruise yet but I’ve only flown two flights-mostly been practicing approaches on the new instruments with the new view angle.

1 Like

Yes, i have noticed that the A320 Autothrust reacts much quicker now which is useful during approach scenarios like you said, It’s just weird that it acts up during cruise.

1 Like

It “over corrects” if you will and jams up to 100% to catch the speed you set-IRL I think that there’s a flight idle N1% (maybe 25-30% N1 iirc) so perhaps we may see that down the line with the A350

1 Like

I have same issues after the live instruments update too. Especially after it captures the glideslope it becomes so unstable that if I don’t disconnect altitude hold the plane will stall. Never had this issue on the A320 before.

1 Like

Yes same. APPR is completely unusable as it bobs up and down uncontrollably. Manual approach is fun mind you, but it’s still annoying.

1 Like

Yes during approach is uncontrollable, there is something wrong for sure.

1 Like

I have the same problem. It is not possible to use the APPR for approach. The thrust goes up and down. Before the update it was working perfect.

1 Like

Same problem here when approaching with A320-200

1 Like

Same on iPad Pro solution is to click off APPR then press again works fine then

1 Like

Same issue. It’s like a see-saw auto thrust style. I have to turn off the auto thrust to over come the rocking back and forth from the overcompensation.

1 Like

As for me, when weather updates come, the autothrust on the A320 family will repeatedly move the throttle up and down (during cruise). I NEVER use autothrust on takeoff and approach as the aircraft usually stalls due to the throttle going idle for too long.

I just hope this is fixed in the next push along with the cockpit view issue…

2 Likes