Nervous flyers

What part of you’re flight makes you nervous and end up ending badly. I experience it when landing sometime I get nervous with how high I am from the runway and I just fail the landing sometimes…what is you’re experience as pilots like and what do you as a pilot do to overcome it.

4 Likes

The landing is hands down the hardest part of the flight

6 Likes

It truly does get intense and do you get nervous aswell.

2 Likes

I usually just focus, I have loads of experience with most aircraft, especially the A320 and after a while it’s just like muscle memory really…

Make sure you are somewhere quiet when landing so you can hear the GPWS callouts.

6 Likes

Are you talking about RL or IF? IRL, I never get nervous. In IF, I always get butterflies during landing, and if I butter, it feels good, but if I fail, I HULK SMASH MY PHONE!!!

3 Likes

Landing is easy! You can always go around to avoid a bad landing or if your unstable. Just fly the aircraft and be smart. There’s nothing scary at all about flying once your used to everything.

2 Likes

That’s true tho I know the feeling and what did you learn to make you’re landings smoother

3 Likes

Landing is the most stressful for me…make sure you are at a slow enough speed where you just approach the runway nice and smoothly! If you have a doubt about the landing whatsoever (Especially if you begin to float) go around! There is no harm in doing so! Slamming the nose of the plane down forcefully will do much more harm than good. Any other questions, just ask!!

2 Likes

Landing when you have critically low fuel and you need to balance speed with engine thrust else you’ll run out of fuel.

4 Likes

That’s true tho I have build up so much experience but sometimes. I get these extreme fear that I land to short of the runway and I freak out

With your iPad?

2 Likes

You have to concentrate and make adjustments as needed and be able to identify when you need those corrections to perform a successful landing.

1 Like

In all seriousness, I have well over 3 years spent on IF, 1.5 of them on live. I have also flown on X-plane as well. Even though I have done so many flights, I have always had that anticipation before landing. Will it glitch right after I butter, so my nose smashes into the ground? Or will I butter in real-time but in the replay it was bad? Good or Bad? I think I have gotten better about the proper mindset during landing. This might sound cheesy, but ALWAYS be at ONE with your plane. The more experience I gain, the better it is to follow that mindset.

Thank you so much I am planning to make Moore topics on asking people about how they feel and see people reactions because it’s good to hear a story and yesss sometimes people are in a rush to go around then the landing goes really bad

2 Likes

I only get slightly nervous when I announce inbound and another person sits at the hold short line for 10 mins waiting for me to land. Makes me feel rushed.

2 Likes

Just go into solo mode, and land a certain aircraft a lot of times, every time before a flight, I usually do a “warm-up” where I just spend ten minutes landing in the planned landing airport with the aircraft I plan to fly in. I also just taxi it around a bit to just refresh my mind how the physics work, especially if I haven’t flown a certain type of plane in a long time.

3 Likes

That’s true it’s sometimes scary when you make a perfect approach and you realize you’re speed is high

3 Likes

Yep! Good hand-eye coordination is also needed!

During flight I never get nervous, especially during turbulence I actually enjoy the bumps because of the effect of being on a rollers coaster. But the only time I would remotely get nervous is when i’m standing up in the bathroom and you never know when you can hit rough air!

It’s all part of concentrating and knowing where you are in regards to the runway and knowing your speed and altitude. Takes some multi tasking skills. ;)