I’ve started working on a feature for In-Flight Assistant for posting a PIREP (flight report) at the end of your flight.
I first heard about this idea from virtualBlue’s own @FBWFTW - virtualBlue encourages their pilots to use In-Flight Assistant and had put a lot of thought into how helpful a PIREP feature would be, so they reached out.
Things virtualBlue proposed this flight plan could include:
- Log “out” time (in airline terms this is brakes off- at pushback)
- Log “off” time (in the air wheels up/positive rate)
- Log “on time” (wheels on ground)
- Log “in time” (brakes on at gate)
- Log “total” flight time (from “out” to “in”)
- Landing rate (for competitive landings!)
- Log max G load, bank angle etc and any other stuff that may help VA pilots compete and/or improve their skills.
- Fuel usage
- etc. etc.
Now that @David_Lockwood on his own also started sharing how helpful a feature like this would be (and @Velocity23 pointed me to that thread), I wanted to go ahead and make a post to this sub-forum to let you all know I’m working on this feature, and get your feedback on this.
A first version of this feature would basically be that once your flight is done, you go into IF-A and create your flight report which is then a share sheet that you could post to Slack, email, wherever.
In fact, we’re also looking (together with @Eighty, virtualBlue’s tech guy) into how feasible it would be to directly post PIREPs into phpVMS which I know a lot of VAs use.
So…I need everyone’s help
What do you think a PIREP feature should include? What would be your dream PIREP features?
Also: which VA system does your VA use?
- phpVMS 7.x
- phpVMS classic (before 7.x)
- Manual system (Google Sheets / Slack / etc.)
- Other system (see comments)
Big thanks again to virtualBlue for reaching out with this idea. I think it’s exciting.